Russian "B-[something] Tiger" rifle

Futo Inu

A local gun store is selling two of these, each with a very hi-tech-looking Russian military-type scope. One was about $1,160 WITH the scope, the other slightly more. The guy said these were used as sniper rifles. Chambering is 7.62 x 54mm. Non-PC "ugly" semi-auto gun.

Does anyone know whether this is a good deal for these rifles? Are they well-made? Accurate? Reliable? Ammo readily available? What are the ballistics - about like .308Win or more or less? Seems like they might be a good Y2K gun.

Also, they had Springfield M1A "Loaded" composite stock/stainless barrel for about $1,150, but a "normal" Spfld walnut stock/carbon barrel for about $1,200.00. Why would it be more than the "Loaded"? Because of the walnut stock?

You found yourself the civilian version of the Dragunov semiautomatic sniper rifle. The civvy gun don't have the bayonet mount (yeah, really needed since snipers daily engage in CQB anyway) or the illuminated reticle (or is it the infared filter) for dim light shooting. While the Russians boasts of its great accuracy, tests in this country shows that it won't hold up against our bolt action M24 or M40. On the other hand, the Russians say they have a special match ammo for it and this may make quite a bit of difference. Regular rooskie 7.62x54 is readily available, but I can't say the same about their "match" ammo. Russian made guns are generally robust and can sustain a lot of abuse.

Turning to the Springfield M1A, can't say why a loaded one with composite stock costs less than a wood stock M1A with less frills. Perhaps the price of a good walnut stock? If you're serious about target shooting, go composite. Not pretty like walnut, but not affected by humidity.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Was "B-something" Brolin arms? Brolin is one of the many Chinese aliases and their Dragunovs (at about $1300) are supposed to be more accurate than the Romanian "Romak-3"s (at about $800). There are very few Russian-made Dragunovs in the US. Lots of CommBloc copies, but few real-deals.

7.62x54 was used in all of the Russian Mosin Nagant series rifles as well, so there are mass quantities available. Often this stuff is cheaper than 7.62x39.

If it is the Russian Dragunov Tiger, it was made by Izhmach and should be so marked. They are going for about $1,600 around here. Forget the chinese/romanian copies. The Dragunov by Izhmach is mounted with the Soviet PSO-1 4X ranging telescope with illuminated reticle. Look for the switch on the left side. There will be Russian characters on the rifle and especially on the scope mount. Mine will shoot very accurately and has shot as well as 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yd off the bench using Russkie ball ammo. It is built so as to be almost indestructable. Power is equivalent to 30 '06 or .308. The only complaint is the wood is very poorly finished. You will enjoy it if you get one.

I can't confirm the B-West Tigers were Chinese-made. I just seem to remember that B-West's product line was heavily Chinese. As BigG suggests, what do the weapon's markings indicate?

I think my Russian Dragunov is marked B-West. After one of the "crime bills" guns imported had to have markings of the importer. Mine is Ruskie, and to tell you the truth, I would keep it if I had to sell either my M1A or it. It's a helluva swelluva gun! Like I said, it will not compete for wood finish with a Browning, but I got an extra stock and added about 2" to the length of pull and sprayed it flat black. It looks like the ultimate "evil gun" assault rifle the libs love to demonize.

Also, about the scope, you use the range finder reticle to bracket a 5'7" man at any range up to 1,300 meters, then dial the scope for the indicated range and fire dead on (up to 1,000 meters. For 11, 12, or 1,300 meters there are separate aiming chevrons. It's the ultimate reticle I've seen.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

I have not tried to reload the ammunition, since both ball and hunting ammo is available for unbelievably low prices. Like $5.00 a box. Also, they are berdan primed, which can be decapped, but then you need to find the berdan primers.

If you want reloadable cases, you may have to buy Norma factory loads.

I also believe the bullets are .311 in diameter, like the .303 British and the 7.62 X 39.

I have used both yellow tip and silver tip ball, can't remember which was the best. Believe it was the yellow tip, however. It's funny, when you get to a certain age, you can think better, but you CRS!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

did the rifle look like this?
svd.jpg

B-West and at least one other importer brought Russian TIGR and SVD rifles over from IZHMASH (Izhesk Machinery Plant) in Russia before the Bush Executive Order ban and resulting federal legislation that banned importation of non-sporting purposes weapons. By the way, the importers reportedly stiffed IZHMASH hard, which is why IZHMASH opened an American affiliate Kalashnikov USA. Also, because of an agreement between the State Department and Russia, ATF will not allow importation of the sporterized TIGR, (They will, however, allow importation of the FPK.)

If you would like to know more about the Soviet Dragunov, the Chinese copy, the Yugoslav M-76, the Romanian FPK, or the various sporterized versions, I urge you to get hold of the May issue of Tactical Shooter. I have an article on the history and details of the SVD and its variants that you may find interesting. Drop me an e-mail and I'll photocopy the article for you.

Oh, and I'm looking for either the Chinese or the Russian Dragunov to purchase.

Back