Russian 8mm?

mp25ds4

i bought some loose rounds of 8mm today, its brass cased surplus, the bullet itself is nickel coated. I asked what country it was and was told it was russian? can anyone confirm this? ive never heard of russian 8mm

It could be russian, dont know. Sounds like turkish from the 40's. The russians may have produced it though to shoot thru battlefield pick up weapons.

I would be suprised if the Russians made it, they might have made some to store away with their captured Mausers, although they might have captured enough ammo to make that moot. Some eastern europeans made 8MM ammo while behind the iron curtain, but I know in at least one case it was made with steel cases like Russian or late German war ammo. What is the headstamp on the ammo? Cause it should be in Cyrillic characters if Russian made I would think.

ok headstamp says uxa 7 and came in 15 round boxes like the one pictured

8mmmauser.jpg

Yeah, it is Yugoslav.

The Yugoslavs use the Cyrillic alphabet, same alphabet the Russians use.
In other words Yugoslav writing is the same as Russian writing. Those are the only 2 countries I know of that use that writing style.

Made for the American milsurp market. No military uses 8mm Mauser.

That ammo is from the days of communist Yugoslavia. They didn't export for the American recreational market, they exported for foreign militaries. Many nations were still using 8mm when that stuff was cranked out. Yugoslavia, Egypt, and China, among others.

Back