bummer link was online this am...
its a bolt action take down
sub 100 yard rifle based on a biatholon rifle
breaks down into a tidyy package
10 round mag & bipod

dang russian webservers
:)

dZ

There was an article on this rifle in the current Tactical Shooter. Was designed specifically for taking out lights, dogs, etc. Built on a straight pull action biathalon rifle.

NJW

The link now works. Valdimir's little rifle sure is pretty. Is it legal in the U.S to make a silencer out of a plastic milk carton?? Has anyone erver been prosecuted for this??

No, it is not legal to make a supressor; even out of a plastic milk carton. Nothing is worth the food and "fun" at ClubFed.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Forgot to mention that the Feb. 2000 issue of Tactical Shooter features a writeup on both the .22 LR SV-99 and the big bore (7.62 x 51mm or 7.62x54 Rimmed) SV-98. The latter is a bolt gun patterned after some of the rifles we see coming out of Western Europe. Check out the issue.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Try going to http://guns.ru

It is a Russian firearms site and I remember reading about their new .22LR sniper rifle somewhere on there. Take a look around, it's pretty cool. Try the above link again, it worked for me. If it doesn't, click on my link and then the "Abakan" rifle link, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and then click on the link for the SV-99.

[This message has been edited by Templar (edited February 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Templar (edited February 28, 2000).]

did tactical shooter mention a US importer?

here is the text in case the link goes south in russia again:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SV-99 Sniper Rifle.

This new rifle in caliber .22 LR has a compact envelope: exactly 1,000 mm long. The weapon has
been designed and made by the IZHMASH Joint Stock Company to the technical requirements of
SPETSNAZ - Russia's special force.

From the point of view of its construction, SV-99 has a few interesting and unique features.

First of all, the caliber. There is a joke among Russian arms designers: those who are used to
developing "serious" assault or large-caliber sniper rifles, they mockingly call the .22LR weapons
nothing but "fly killers", which means, this caliber is treated like something unacceptable for a
combat weapon. Of course, this is only a joke.

In fact, my recent research on sniper rifles developed by various companies around the globe
reveals that the "sharps" industry has a strong tendency towards larger calibers: .338 Lapua
Magnum, 12.7 mm and even 20 mm. SV-99 is probably the only true sniper rifle with the bore's
diameter of 5.6 mm only. I would mislead readers if I'd say that sniper rifles in .22LR has never
been in practice. I was told by Vietnam veterans that Viet Cong fighters used old TOZ 5.6 mm
plinkers as weapons of close combat and sniper rifles successfully deployed in towns. Similar
reports I had from the snipers who took part in the actions in Chechnya: Standard hunting .22LR
"Sobol" rifles were used in the "snipers' war" in Grozniy. Smart guys, they used plastic bottles with
tiny holes in the bottom and attached to rifle's muzzle as silencers! They said, such rifles were
compact, accurate at close ranges. Fired from internal premises (a room, a hideout, etc.)
small-caliber rifles produced very low sound blast that could hardly be heard at a distance of over
100 meters. Their "quietness" and accuracy was the important factor that made "fly killers" so
effective as an anti-personnel weapon. I remember, one sniper was saying: - If a target is closer
than 100 meters, You don't have to defeat a ballistic jacket. An exposed neck, face or head is just
enough! And the gun is so "quiet"...

So, I was not entirely surprised when I heard a word from one of my friends in the R&D center that IZHMASH was working on a new small-caliber
sniper rifle.

A few days ago I was able to thoroughly examine the SV-99 rifle.

Locking of the straight-pull bolt of the crank-shaft type is achieved by a lever arrangement
that retains the bolt in locking position by the dead point of the traction link of the cocking
lever. Once the bolt is in battery, it cannot be unlocked without applying a side shoulder of
the cocking lever. This mechanism is derived from the construction of the winter Biathlon
rifle, also devised by the IZHMASH Joint Stock company. SV-99 has a detachable buttstock
which, if required by a tactical situation, can be replaced by a pistol grip. Stock is made from
laminated plywood. A knob located on the rear left side of the barrel and receiver assembly
serves to release the stock and attach the grip. This shorter envelope is handy in a combat
at close ranges.

The safety lever is located at the front part of the trigger guard. Once the safety is in its
rearmost position, the rifle is deactivated by blocking both action and trigger. To bring the
rifle into firing order, push safety forward.

The rifle is magazine fed. The plastic detachable box-type magazine accommodates 5 rounds. The rifle's magazine port can accept 8-round and
10-round magazines. There are two 5-round extra magazines inside a special niche located inside the lower portion of the buttstock. The niche has
a plastic hinged cover which prevents magazines from unwanted dust and debris. The buttstock has a fully adjustable cheek and buttplate to ensure
operator' s comfort at firing. A telescopic bipod attaches to a rail located inside the lower surface of the handguard.

The threaded muzzle end of the barrel can be equipped with a compact silencer.

Ontop the receiver there is a dove-tail rail to accommodate practically any type of a telescope. SV-99
has no iron sights.

The rifle can be knocked down in a few moments, thus making it very handy for transportation in a
medium-sized bag or case. Its longest assembly - a barrel and receiver with handguard - is only 520
mm long.

SV-99 comes complete with the following accessories:
- 2 extra magazines;
- telescopic bipod;
- pistol grip;
- silencer;
- carrying sling;
- cleaning kit including cleaning rod.

SV-99 specifications

Caliber, mm:
5.6 ÏÏ (.22 LR)
Barrel:
cold hammered and honed bore,
6 RH riflings, of one turn in 420 mm.
No crome-plating.
Length of barrel, mm:
Overall length of rifle, mm:
Weight, empty, mm:
Range of effective fire, m:
Compactness of fire
(3 series by 5 shots shots each, center-to-center)
12 mm, with silencer
Adjustable length of buttstock, mm:
Adjustment of cheek, mm:
- elevation 7.5
- longitudinal shift 6.0

Adjustment of buttplate, mm:
up and down from neutral 30
Trigger pull, adjustable, kgf:
0.5 to 1.0[/quote]

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited March 01, 2000).]

Back