Russian .223

AR Man

I am new to the site and this is my first post so forgive me if this has been covered but does anybody have any experience with the russian .223 (steel cased) that's around? I have a brand new Armalite M15A2 (haven't had a chance to shoot it yet) you certainly cannot beat the price of the ammo, or is it just c__p? Any ideas, suggestions? What about the SS109?

[This message has been edited by AR Man (edited 02-06-99).]

I wouldn't shoot the Russian steel(harder) cased ammo because it causes more wear on your rifles chamber which is designed for brass (softer) cases ammo. Also, the steel case doesn't expand as much as a brass case when fired so it doesn't seal the chamber as well, i.e. you get gas leaks around the bolt. Check out www.ar15.com they have lots of info on everything an AR owner would want to know. I shoot Georgia Arms ammo out of my AR. Look at the disscusion board under the topic AMMO. Hope this helps.

Haven't shot Rooskie steel case .223 but I have shot steel cased rifle ammo. The problem I've experienced is case failure. Steel can expand, but won't contract as readily as brass. I've had cases whose rim ripped off when the extractor tried to extract it. Jam Jam Jam. Had to drop the cleaning rod down via the muzzle (Smith Enterprise M14) to clear the case. No more steel case in that gun after having done that. The same steel case ammo worked fine in a bolt gun though. I guess the violence of a semi-auto's extraction was too much for the case.

I have shot lots of steel cased 7.62 x 39 through a SKS and AK with never a problem and some steel cased .308 through a bolt action. I did have some sticky extraction on the bolt action but other than that no problems. I wonder what the big difference between typical com bloc designs and US is? Don't get me wrong I would not give up my AR for anything just wonder what the design differences are.

Well...

I purchased some russian "non-corrosive" 7.62x54 to plink through a Polish Moisin-Nagant carbine, when....'crack!'....
The first extracted case was cracked from lip to neck. The bullet left the bbl quite accurately, so I tried again...and again...and again...5 rounds, 5 cracked cases. I had a 'smith measure my chamber, and it was correct. Tried some brass cartridges without a hitch. And all the steel AK/SKS ammo I've devoured never did this in the past. Anyhoo.... I'm personally afraid of the steel-cased stuff for anything other than the AK/SKS variants, and cannot conceive feeding my pet ARs on such a rough diet. just my opinion.

Back