Ruptured Shot-shell Bases.

Pahoo

Not sure where to post this but here it goes;
I routinely clean shotguns for relatives and friends, in preparation for the coming hunting seasons. Have to admit that I enjoy cleaning firearms. ….. :confused:

As part of the cleaning, I take them to the field and perform a live-fire functional check, especially on the pumps and autos.
A friend brought me his Remington 1187, 12GA, took it to the range and loaded three 3" shells. Shot the first one and inspected the hull. Could not believe what I saw; The high brass plated base, was ruptured; the base was cracked around the rim and some of the rims separated from the rest of the brass. The choke -tube that was present Extra-Full, Turkey choke. Took it back to the shop and inspected it and could find anything wrong with the shotgun. Went back to the range and this time cycled some Low-Alum Game loads through it without any issues.

I am now suspecting that the problem is in the Shot-Shells. They are Federal High-Power #6 's. My next step is to try them on a Pump and check that. .. :confused:

Requesting and appreciating your input on what Y'all think, might be the problem. ??? :confused:

Be Safe !!!

The obvious question: did the 11-87 have a 3 inch chamber? If not, maybe that's the problem? My old 1100s had 2 3/4 inch chambers. If I recall correctly, the bolt would close and lock up if you put a 3 inch shell in the 2 3/4 inch chamber, but nothing good would happen if you pulled the trigger.

All my 1100s will cycle the cheap Winchester Universals, but they rip about 30-35% of the bases just like you describe. Those shells tend to grip the chamber longer than others. Don't know if yours have the same issue or not. It's a fine line because my Wingmasters don't do it no matter how fast I shuck.

Steel-based ammo do not "retract" as well as brass after firing and in some guns, especially some of the later cheaper models, there can be a tad of roughness in the chamber making extraction difficult - this can lead to ripped off bases, stuck hulls, etc.

Back