"Ruger's REAL Reason"?

ReserveCop

I have an older (early '80's) Ruger Speed Six.

I have heard two possible reasons why Ruger stopped making this wheelgun:

1 -- The handgun could not handle large amounts of full power .357's.

OR

2 -- The cost to make the Speed Six was too high.

Does any TFL member know FOR SURE the REAL reason Ruger stopped making the Speed Six?

Thanks for your opinions.

They don't want anyone to know, but I heard that it was because it was such a nice gun that the competition was going under so they pulled it out of mercy for them. ;)

Neither

The Speed Six and it's brothers in the Ruger Line were replaced by the GP-100 and SP-101. There are superior features here. The GP-100 locks up on the front of the crane whereas the Speed Six locks up S&W style on the end of the ejector rod. This is more sturdy and means a bent ejector rod is not the death of accuracy. Also, the GP-100 has a spur-grip that allows for complete wrap-around grips like the Dan Wesson.

The same techniques were being used to make the Speed Six as are used on the GP and SP series guns. It has nothing to do with economics or strength. In fact, the Speed Six is (arguably) stronger than S&W's 357's. A read of "Ruger and his Guns" didn't change my feelings on the matter. I like the Security Six my Father has and have owned and shot several over the years.

I don't know why you would have heard either of the two arguments unless somebody was trying to talk you down on the price of your gun or move something they wanted to sell to you. Be wary of them kinds.

I read an interview with Bill Ruger a few years ago. I think he said that they learned how to make double action revolvers with the 'Six series and improved (subjective) them into the GP-100. He also said they didn't make a dime on any of the 'Six series of revolvers.

i have both security six 4 inch and gp-in 6 inch.the gp looks stouter with its full underlug while the security six looks more streamlined.both are fine,strong dependible guns.

My understanding is, in spite of advertising to the contrary, the Security Six and its siblings had problems with hot .357 loads(125 gr full loads)and developed forcing cone problems, just like the Smith K frame .357s.

Despite the above the Security Six was and is an excellent revolver. Especially like the ease of total disassembly.

I sincerely wish the Security Six was still around, as an alternative to the GP100 line. Don't get me wrong, I love both my GP's, but the Security Six was a NICE revolver. I'm sure the GP100 is stronger, but so what? I've never seen a shot-out Ruger! Have you?

If Ruger wanted to produce a limited run of Security/Service Sixes, I'm sure they'd be snapped up, and not just by collectors.

I'm still looking for it, but I had a magazine from a couple of years ago that featured an interview with Bill Ruger. He said that, counting development costs, they probably never made a nickel from the Security/Speed/Police-Service Six line. They were just too expensive to produce. I'll keep looking, it's here somewhere.

It's hard for me to imagine that the new models are sturdier than my old Police Service Six. I'm sure they are from what I've heard and it's really impressive - improving something that didn't need it :)

John

I managed to wash out the forcing cones on two 'Sixes', but this was only after (literally) cases of 110 and 125 gr. .357s. The guns were still going strong but the occasional blast of powder and lead particles in the face didn't help my shooting only. I shipped each gun in turn back for a new barrel and rebuild as needed, and have them both today. During this same time I supervised around 50 officers, of whom most qualified with and carried Speed Sixes. All of our qualification firing and serious training was done with the full .357 loads.

I still carry, use, and shoot one of those Sixes now for CCW--plus I pick up good ones when I can on principle. I have a very nice GP-100 but it is too big and heavy for anything but field use.

I read the same Bill Ruger article, in which he suggested that the Sixes were not engineered for as efficient production as the GPs and the SPs. Probably true. That said, I still think the Sixes were a more practical day in--day out gun.

Back