Ruger's 9mm Carbine

John G,
I bought one about 1 1/2 years ago. The newest ones have the option of regular barrel mounted rear sight or receiver mounted ghost ring rear sight. I think the ghost ring would be the way to go for me. I use it for "pistol caliber carbine" matches. It works real well for me in that role. There are all sorts of high cap. mags available for the 9mm Ruger. Not so for the same gun in .40 S&W. I mounted a Weaver
1-3x scope on it and this works great. If only iron sights are allowed I wish it had the ghost rings. (bad eyes)
When it was new I cleaned it and then shot it until it had a stoppage. About 500 rounds of all sorts of factory hardball and hollow points, every kind of handloads from mild to wild. That's pretty good in my book. It's a simple blowback design that seems to work.
This carbine is in Ruger's catalog.
I haven't seen many sitting in dealers racks, but they can order one, I'm sure.
Cat

I've seen and shot them in both calibres. As you know, they are compatible with the pistol magazines and this makes them viable as a pistol calibre carbine which is non-threatening to police administrators.

Ruger designed them to take a whole host of aftermarket products (red dot sights, scope, ghost rings, etc.) and designed them to take abuse.

The one thing I dislike about them is their weight. I expected something like 5.5-6 lbs and I think they were closer to 7. Mind you, I shoot running deer with a scoped Colt HBAR offhand so It's not that I can't handle it. The expectations were for a lighter firearm. BTW, I tried to get our chief to go for it but the senior instructor swayed him towards combat tupperware.

Back