Ruger Wrangler

Panfisher

Welp, the other day I came home with a new Ruger Wrangler. Havent got to shoot it a lot yet, but seems ok except for being a bit stiff and having a heavy trigger pull weight. Am thinking about buying a set of wolf replacement springs for it. All reviews seem to be positive, not sure if I really need to replace 5he main spring though, a little concerned about light strikes and failures to fire, although I would think that Wolf would be in the know about that. Also wanting to do some polishing and smoothing of contact surfaces, except for "sear" notches not ready to tackle that yet. Anything else I am missing except for putting a bunch of ammo through it.

Shoot before passing judgement or changing parts.
Shoot more.
Then shoot a bunch more.

Then reassess.

I bought one last spring. My expectations were low. I was happily proven to be too pessimistic.
It's going out tomorrow. Fun shooter, and mine is impressively accurate.
I might polish some internals, but the way it is breaking in, I'll probably leave it alone.

Good advice. In the little shooting I have done so far a problem has arisen that been present for every single pistol I have ever owned. Something about how I hold a pistol causes the shots to go left and sometime a little low, but mostly left. I can rest my forears on a sandbag at a bench and reduce the effect but it is still there. The charts I see say that it is from not enough finger on the trigger, but I have even moved my finder far enough so that the trigger is in the first crease and it is still happening. The only pistols I could ever shoot well are my 1911 and an old Ruger MK II I used to have. Sometime it will disappear for a few rounds and then return, and dang if I can figure it out. This pistol and I are gonna spend a lot of cheap ammo over the next few years, it's only real purposes will be fun plinking and riding around with me while mushroom hunting in spring. But as with any gun you carry a lot it will tend to get used for more things than I expect.

There's a fairly reasonable discussion about the Wrangler's trigger(rumour has it the factory pull is 5 pounds) here. One guy, who seems to know what he's about, says just straightening the trigger spring legs will drop the pull. No idea if what is said is accurate or not.
https://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/375687-wrangler-trigger-spring.html
Anyway, the Wrangler innards is supposedly the same or similar to a Single Six/New Vaquero. The Wrangler isn't listed on Wolff Springs site.

Something about how I hold a pistol causes the shots to go left and sometime a little low, but mostly left.
Recoil anticipation, too little or too much finger in the trigger, and squeezing the grip.

The factory weight felt heavier but as I don't own a trigger pull gauge it can be deceiving. The trigger return spring can be easily tweaked slightly in a few minutes, but with a set of springs for $15 maybe, not a critical thing. The springs are the same as the single six.

Back