Ruger wear

Rob96

I have a Ruger P94 that has bee a dream to shoot. However , the accuracy has started to slip. I have noticed on the forward slide rails the tops of the two sides are "stipled" and the right side rail is starting to round off. This is caused by the rear outside chamber area of the barrel. When the slide comes back during its cycle , the barrel tilts downward onto the the tops of the rails, causing the dents and the rounding. How much more "damage" will this do? With the slide forward it is not as tight as it used to be.

Rob,
I bet if you send that gun to Ruger, they will return it to you in "like new" condition. They are notorious for doing just that. That is the reason they don't give warranties. They are going to fix the gun anyway. Jim Hall

It sounds like normal wear to me. Please explain what you mean by 'stipling.' The P-94 will eventually wear the hard surface treatment off in a few places, but this will NOT result in decreased accuracy. This 'rounding off' you describe also sounds normal. The Aluminum has to break in a bid and reaches a point where it will stay pretty-much stable for a long time.

The "stipling" or "stippling",however it is spelled, is like the treatment you would give the frontstrap of a 1911. It's like a bunch of dents. With the rounding you could actually see a mushrooming affect, kind of like the top of a chisel after it has been used quite a bit. It did affect accuracy because when the slide was forward you could press on the rear portion of the barrel that is exposed and move it. I realize that this is probably an affect of alloy guns, but don't like it. Traded it on a CZ-75B.

Back