Ruger vs Uberti in 9MM ?

jrsbike

I am interested in a 9MM wheel gun to compliment my Ruger in 22LR. I have lots of 9MM ammo to support my semi autos so this makes sense for me. I am aware that these revolvers are combination 9MM/357 hybrids with 357 barrels, so not true 9MM pistols. Based on user experience, which is best suited for casual range plinking with good accuracy. I have seen posts that praise them in 357 but say they fall down in 9MM.Thx

revolvers for 9 mm

sounds good to me, now if I could just get one in 38 super, which is also .355
I have been told by an old time gunsmith, that the original loadings for 9 mm and the old 38 auto, (not 380) also called 38 acp, a Browning design were almost identical. The 38 super is an extremely hot 38. out side dimensions are identical to the old 38 acp, but pressures are almost 357 mag pressures.
was even loaded in the THOMPSON sub machine gun at one time for the FBI

sounds good to me, now if I could just get one in 38 super, which is also .355
I have been told by an old time gunsmith, that the original loadings for 9 mm and the old 38 auto, (not 380) also called 38 acp, a Browning design were almost identical. The 38 super is an extremely hot 38. out side dimensions are identical to the old 38 acp, but pressures are almost 357 mag pressures.

38 Super (aka 38 Super Automatic +P) pressure limit is 36,500 psi. 357 Magnum pressure limit is 35,000 psi.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

They were almost identical. The original 9mm loading was a 124gr truncated cone FMJ at 1050fps. The original .38 Auto (.38ACP) was a 130gr RN FMJ at 1040fps according the sources I have. The .38ACP was introduced in 1900, the 9mm Luger in 1902.

In 1929 an increased load was introduced for the .38ACP, using the same case and bullet but with a publshed velocity of 1275fps. The gun this load was made for was a govt model marked "Super 38" by Colt, and originally, it was the gun, not the round that was the ".38 Super". After a fairly short time, the heavy load .38ACP became named the ".38 Super" and so it has been ever since. Sometime in the 80s (I think) SAAMI decided that the .38 Super should also be marked with "+p" and that's what you find on the brass these days.

The Thompson SMG was listed as being available in .38 Super, but I have found no evidence they actually made any as production guns. I have info saying a couple prototypes were made, but that's all. And, the FBI wasn't interested in them...

38 Super (aka 38 Super Automatic +P) pressure limit is 36,500 psi. 357 Magnum pressure limit is 35,000 psi.

To give you an idea of how times have changed, in 1987 the working pressure limit for the .357 Magnum was 46,000 cup. (per Speer #11)

I don't know how you would convert that to psi, but I can tell you that today's .357 ammo is not as hot as it once was.

Getting back to the thread title, "Ruger vs Uberti in 9mm?"
I have no experience with a Uberti 9mm, but the Uberti's I have seen are Colt "clones" and the only thing they have in common with a New Model Ruger Blackhawk is that they are both single action revolvers. The Ruger uses a transfer bar system so its safe to carry with all 6 chambers loaded, does not have a half cock hammer position, opening the loading gate allows the cylinder to turn. Rugers have coil mainsprings and are bigger, beefier, heavier stronger guns than Colt SAA pattern guns. Plus the Blackhawk comes with adjustable sights standard.

Personal opinion, I think the Rugers are better guns than Colt SAA copies, BUT the Blackhawk doesn't look "authentic Old West". The New Vaquero does, but as far as I know, right now, isn't available in a 9mm convertable version. This may have changed since last I looked, check with Ruger to see.

In 1929 an increased load was introduced for the .38ACP, using the same case and bullet but with a publshed velocity of 1275fps. The gun this load was made for was a govt model marked "Super 38" by Colt, and originally, it was the gun, not the round that was the ".38 Super". After a fairly short time, the heavy load .38ACP became named the ".38 Super" and so it has been ever since. Sometime in the 80s (I think) SAAMI decided that the .38 Super should also be marked with "+p" and that's what you find on the brass these days.

In 1929 The new Colt pistol was chambered in 38 Automatic with a 130 grain bullet at 1,190 fps, according to Douglas Sheldon in his book, "The Production History From 1929 Through 1971." If the speed was increased in 1929, no one bothered to tell Colt because they don't list a significant increase in speed in their ads until 1933, according to the sources listed here:

http://www.38super.net/Pages/History.html

Sheldon, Douglas G. 1997. Colt's Super .38, The Production History From 1929 Through 1971. Quick Vend, Inc. Willernie, MN.

According to the Speer manual, the +P name was added in 1974.

To give you an idea of how times have changed, in 1987 the working pressure limit for the .357 Magnum was 46,000 cup. (per Speer #11)

The current CUP rating is 45,000, and 36,500 psi.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

The two different methods of measuring pressure produce different results with the same ammo.

I don't know how you would convert that to psi, but I can tell you that today's .357 ammo is not as hot as it once was.

People keep saying that but have not provided compelling evidence.

What were those 'hot' ballistics?

I didn't know Uberti made a 9 mm revolver. I have a Cimarron (same as Uberti?) and it is a beautiful SAA copy. Much prettier than any Ruger I have. I trust it just fine for regular pressure loads, but if you want to shoot something hot, Ruger is the way to go.

I would definitely rather have a Blackhawk Convertible with 357 and 9 mm cylinders.

If/when you want an Italian SAA copy, get a Cimarron in 45 Colt and just shoot standard loads.

Back