Ruger Vaquero "Sheriff's Model" now available

AUTiger73

Ruger made their first shipment of the Ruger Vaquero "Sheriff's Model" .45 Colt to their wholesale distributors on 09/24/2001. Apparently these were only "shipped" to selected distributors and are not yet widely available. My dealer was able to find 1 stainless model at Davidson's in AZ (800-367-4867) which I received last week.

More information about the new Vaquero Sheriff's Model can be found at the following URL:

www.gunblast.com/Birdshead.htm

As you will see this gun has the birdshead grip, black mccarter grip panels, and 3.75" barrel. It is absolutely beautiful!

My gun comes to me with excellent workmanship. The barrel/cylinder gap is exactly .005" and polished stainless finish meets my approval. The chambers are reasonably smooth and there are no problems with extraction of standard factory loads. However, the trigger could use some work. I'm also thinking about a Bisley hammer kit modification.

Accuracy with Remington 255 RN factory loads is under 2.6" at 15 yards (even with my old eyes & the bright sights are no help). The Remington 225 SWC load is approximately 2.0" but needs some front sight modifications to bring to point-of-aim. Both loads generally group in vertical alignment on target so there will be no need for left-to-right front sight tweaking. My plan is to duplicate the 225 SWC load using Unique or Herco cannister powders.

Back to my purpose in posting this, those interested in obtaining the Vaquero Sheriff's may find them in stainless or blue at the following distributors:

Dixie shooters (800-841-9441); Henry's (800-545-5654); Ellet Brothers (800-845-3711) and Davidson's as mention earlier.

Ruger's catalog number for the Vaquero Sheriff's Model in Stainless is: KBNVBH-453

Price was $ 450 plus tax retail. Tax & all was about $ 476 total.

Best of Luck is finding one of these because every cowboy and cowgirl will want at least one!

Last edited:
YES! - I wanted 2 in consecutive serial numbers, but was lucky to find 1. My dealer ordered my gun only 5 days after Ruger shipped them to the distributor. Davidson in AZ had only received 2 guns, one was blue and one was stainless. Strangely the price was the same for either. I'll order another one latter, after I get over the S&W M66 that I can't do without.

The Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's Model looks like it belongs in a
western cross-draw holster. Any recommendations?

Back