Ruger Vaquero 45Colt/45ACP Convertible

AUTiger73

I visited my favorite gun dealer yesterday with the intentions of ordering one of the Ruger Vaquero 32H&R Magnums. Looking into his display case I noticed something new, a Ruger Vaquero Convertible with 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders in nicely polished stainless steel. Price tag was $ 485 and the tag noted it was a "limited edition" model.

Well, I didn't order that Ruger Vaquero 32H&R and now wonder why I even thought of ordering anything in a caliber that has such limited utility. Being a longtime fan of the 45ACP in both semi-autos and S&W revolvers, I think I'm in love with that Ruger Vaquero 45 Convertible. I'm sure the "limited edition" aspects of this gun is most like just "hype" - but it is certainly an interesting piece.

Today is my birthday and this 56 year old kid deserves a new toy!

Anybody else seen a Ruger Vaquero 45 Convertible? How about the price? Reasonable or just priced for "limited edition" hype? Can anybody think of a good reason not to by this gun?

Ruger Revolver

Nothing else need be said! (But I will anyway) While I have no experience with the model in question, I (and my father) have owned about a dozen Ruger revolvers in various calibers, and IMHO they are simply the best on the martket. If you already like both calibers and were considering a similar model anyway, I say go for it! Enjoy!

Didnt know they were making a 45LC/ACP convertible Vaquero, but If they are, I gotta have a look at one.

$485 does seem a little high, though, but I am not up to date on Vaquero prices. The spare cylinder would probably add about $75 to the price of a standard Vaquero, I think.

I purchased a 5 1/2 inch Vaquero convertible in stainless when the first run of them was offered last year. Then I heard that there was going to be a run of them in the blued version and I told my dealer I hadda have one. Well, another group of stainless came out before the blued so I just had to get one in 4 5/8 (don't ask me why). Now I am told that the blued versions are beginning to ship and I'm looking under cushions for loose change and spending way to much mental effort trying to decide between 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 inch for the blued one. If this gives you the idea I like them, you'd be right. My 5 1/2 inch stainless is wonderfully accurate with both cylinders and shoots most 230 grain bullets very close to point of aim. I'd have to look up price but they are generally at least in the mid 400's so I don't think 485 is at all outrageous although I'd try to get him down a little if I could. It's a seller's market for them. The extra cylinder and the "limited edition" marketing makes them a bit pricier. Mine are keepers. Good luck and have fun. Lazarus

AUTiger73
I have been using a S/S Ruger 45ACP/45LC for several months. The 45ACP shoots point of aim at 25 yards and the 45LC is about an inch off at the same distance. I paid $485 for my Ruger at a local gun show. The only negative comment I have is that the s/s sights are hard to see with "old" eyes. IMHO buy it.
Bubba

Ruger Vaquero 45Colt/ 45ACP Convertible

Yes! Put half down and paying balance of $$$ next week!
It has a 4 5/8" barrel and absolutely beautifully polished stainless steel. Certainly not your average Ruger finish.

If only Ruger would perform such polishing prior to BLUE finishing! The Super Blackhawk I had represented one of the worst blue finishes I've ever seen. Likewise, I have a Ruger Mark II .22 bull barrel pistol that is poorly blued. In my collection I have 2 - U.S. Arms Abilene SA Revolvers that have the BEST BLUE finishes. Likewise my S&W revolvers have very good blue finishes. But I've never seen a Ruger with a superior blue finish. The point is, if Ruger can polish stainless then they should be able to polish their guns prior to applying a blue finish.

Guess I'll just buy polished stainless Rugers in the future and I'm still thinking about a Single-Six SS Vaquero in 32H&R even though there is no good reason for purchasing it.

Back