Ruger Super Redhawk Trigger not fully resetting

jooleyen

Inactive
I have a new Super Redhawk (Toklat) in .454 casull that I haven't fired yet. I've been dry-fire practicing. I've taken it apart, cleaned and lubed it, and taken it apart and put it back together a few times just to familiarize myself with it. The problem I'm having is when I slowly let off the trigger, it won't fully reset. Then of course, the gun locks up until I manually reset the trigger. I know a DA revolver requires you to let off the tigger fully before firing again, which I am. It works fine when I reset quickly because the spring has momentum, but if I go slowly, it often hangs up. I have to manually reset by pushing the trigger forward...or by wiggling the gun; it's really close to resetting on its own.

Does this mean the rebound spring is too weak? I just got this thing and don't want to have to send it away. Anybody have some resources that could help me learn how to fix the issue? Maybe I missed a spot with lube or didn't apply enough somewhere in particular?

Thanks

While a weak trigger return spring could cause the problem you describe, it's unlikely to be the culprit on a new gun. More likely I think is a small burr somewhere in the trigger mechanism. As you said this is a new gun, give Ruger customer service a call. They'll send you a shipping label for the gun to go back to the factory to be sorted out.

"...slowly let off the trigger..." That may be the issue. 'Slow' is rarely a good thing with machines like triggers.
There's really no reason to disassemble a trigger group just to familiarize yourself. It's possible you didn't reassemble it correctly. That's not likely though. It wouldn't work at all if it wasn't put together properly.
There is no "rebound spring" in a Ruger. That's a Smith thing.
"...spring has momentum..." Springs don't have momentum. They literally store energy. I suspect that energy isn't being released correctly when you slowly release the trigger.

Ok, it was incorrect reassembly. I took it apart and put it back together several times a few weeks ago just cause I was bored and though I did it correctly, some small part must have not been seated properly. I followed this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ydLogHR-Y

I took it apart and put it back together today again making sure to follow the simple instructions and it resets fully now whether I let off slowly or quickly. Glad I didn't have to send it back cause this thing is fun to shoot!

I have a new Super Redhawk (Toklat) in .454 casull that I haven't fired yet. I've been dry-fire practicing. I've taken it apart, cleaned and lubed it, and taken it apart and put it back together a few times just to familiarize myself with it. The problem I'm having is when I slowly let off the trigger, it won't fully reset. Then of course, the gun locks up until I manually reset the trigger. I know a DA revolver requires you to let off the tigger fully before firing again, which I am. It works fine when I reset quickly because the spring has momentum, but if I go slowly, it often hangs up. I have to manually reset by pushing the trigger forward...or by wiggling the gun; it's really close to resetting on its own.

Does this mean the rebound spring is too weak? I just got this thing and don't want to have to send it away. Anybody have some resources that could help me learn how to fix the issue? Maybe I missed a spot with lube or didn't apply enough somewhere in particular?

Thanks
Is it one of the TALO 5" models?

Back