ruger super redhawk 7.5" 44 mag

bullfrog99

any happy owners want to tell me the good points, any disgrunyled ones want to tell me the bad, what should one run used in great condition.

I used one for years with complete satisfaction. I recently bought the 454 version my son uses the 44 now. He took his first deer with it last year. They are great. After thousands of full power rounds it is still like new.

A pleasure to shoot even w/ the hottest loads. Mine needed Houge grips and a action job. On the heavy side, in retrospect I would have looked closer at the Redhawk.
LF

While I love my Super Redhawk 44, it has been "shelved" in favor of my new favorite baby, Super Redhawk in Ruger 480, I love this gun! I can't wait til my dies come though as ammo for her is pretty expensive. Not used to having to buy factory ammo.:D If you get the Redhawk, enjoy it,they are great guns:D

I've hunted for several years with my Ruger SRH, mine has the 9 1/2" barrel. It has accounted for several whitetail deer over the years....hope to add a black bear to that soon. I have had zero problems with it and it is as it came from the factory....no trigger jobs or change of grips needed in my opinion.

Now Super RHK or just a RHK.

I don't want a scope mounted on my RHK because of the weight factor. I only plan to shoot out to 50 yards on a deer anyway.

Want to do a lot of range shooting and some load development and the Rugers have consistently been recommended.

I like the 5.5" barrel on the RHK. But the 7.5" on the SRHK with the integrated scope mount will help with resale. Never sell though.

And it may sub as a trail gun in bear country too.

Redhawk or SuperRedhawk?

Only good things to say about my 7.5" SRH .44 Mag. Frankly, the gun is big and heavy enough that the addition of a scope is only an incremental decision. IF I had the bucks, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same in the new .480 offering.

I was not pleased at all with the trigger on my Super Redhawk (.44 mag, 7.5" barrel) when I bought it and the Ruger scope mounts that came with it were also not very good in my opinion. No matter what I tried my Leupold 2x would eventually slip in these mounts. Anyway, I sent the gun to Jack Weigand http://www.jackweigand.com/pistolsmithing/redhawk.html for an action job, porting and scope mounts. My Super Redhawk is now one of my favorite guns to take to the range and to deer hunt with. Also is fun to reload for. Another thing I did was replace the factory grips with the Hogue monogrip. Made a big difference when shooting full power loads.......Art G.

art g you might try this

i read in the very high power mag. about a trick they do with the 50bmg's and it works.you take a thin rubber glove you cut out 2 strips from the fingers.they will look like 2 wide rubber bands.put them on the scope where the rings go ,they will be under the rings.it will stop the scope from slipping and protect it from recoil as well.make sure you get the powder of the gloves if they have any.cut them so they fit under the rings you can hardly see the glove at all.

Back