Ruger Super GP 100

Haven't touched one...but totally not interested.

The 9mm cylinder fit in there screams that Ruger didn't give two craps about cylinder size to frame.

Look at the S&W 646 with the cylinder fit in the frame. It was built around the .40 round.

At 1,500 dollars? Nope :)

You have to really like Ruger to pass up on the cheaper better triggered S&W 627 8 shot on the N frame.

wild cat, do you have a link? I can't find a .40 S&W in 646, including the S&W website, let alone a 9mm- in any S&W revolver.

Last edited:
I did find a S&W 986 in 9mm. 7 rounds (instead of Ruger's 8)- cost $1100 but I had gotten a quote from a local gun shop for the Ruger (if he could get it) at $1328.
The Ruger is based on a Super Redhawk/GP100 model, isn't there any advantage to that?

wild cat, do you have a link? I can't find a .40 S&W in 646, including the S&W website, let alone a 9mm- in any S&W revolver.
Both are long since discontinued but S&W offered a “K” frame 9mm (model 547) as well as the model 646 in 40 s&w. Both command collector prices.

Jim

The S&W 610 is going for $900 right now and is a 10mm/.40 on their N frame, but admittedly only 6 shot.

The 686 Pro is a 7 shot 5" 357 that goes for 800 right now.

If you are spending that money for 8 shots of 9mm, for that look, for a GP100...you asked. No. No interest whatsoever :)

The 9mm cylinder fit in there screams that Ruger didn't give two craps about cylinder size to frame.
The gun is available in both .357Mag and 9mm and is based on a .44Mag design which accounts for the large frame window. The could have made the cylinder the same length for both but went with the shorter cylinder in the 9mm model to minimize the bullet jump to the rifling.

I suppose one could buy the .357Mag version and then have a good gunsmith fit a full length cylinder to the gun and set it up for 9mm. Then you'd have a pretty interesting multi-caliber revolver. And one really expensive revolver! Don't know how well the 9mm version would shoot with such a long jump to the rifling.

By the way, in spite of the naming of the gun, it is not a GP100. It is a Super Redhawk without the frame extension and with a different profile barrel.

I have a GP100 in 357mag. It is a fine revolver....not quite a s&w, but still a good working gun.

That 9mm is hard to look at. They need to quit drinking in the product development room. I’m sure someone thought that would look Star Wars or racy, but it looks closer to space junk!

I've never seen one and had to look on Google Images. That GP 100 is right up there with the Chiapa Rhino in terms of ugliness. IIIEEEE [loud scream]!!

All I've seen are photos, nothing to hold. But if the general shooting public has a negative opinion comparable to that seen here, the price ought to drop well below $1500. From what I gather, the goal is a 9mm competition revolver, so function may be the driver rather than optics. Thanks for everyone's views!

The S&W 929 is an 8 shot 9mm N frame revolver. It looks like they’re going for $1,200 right now. I bought one a couple years back and like it. I’d be interested in shooting the Super GP but I’m not going to spend $1,500 on one.

When it first came out I was turned off too but now owning the lipsey’s 5 inch half lug.. I want the super. 357 model.. add Bowen lanyard ring. Shoot,repeat.

I'll admit the S&W 929 looks better. I think I'll cancel my two dealer "dream"list orders and see about a 929

I don't really understand the point of using a revolver to shoot 9mm. I think pistols are handling this caliber very well. I have always thought of revolvers as perfect machines for .357 mag or .44 mag. The only revolver I have outside of those 2 calibers is a Russian Nagant but that's more of a museum piece to me.

Back