Ruger Standard 22 Auto, Red Eagle

CliveW

Inactive
I had been keeping my eye open for an older model Ruger Standard Auto or Mark 1 auto .22 pistol for a while at the local markets etc.

I just bought one, a Standard model, 4 3/4"bbl with the fixed rear sight. Very nice condition blue with no wear or marks and guess I paid the average price for such a gun.

However, this has the red red eagle emblem on a silver background on the left grip and also a very low 5-digit ser. # 1xxxx. Maybe meaning it was made between '49-51 before Sturm's death.

I was under the impression that these 'Red Eagle' models commanded a premium. Am I wrong, or is it possible that the dealer wasn't aware of this, due to the average asking price. I'm real happy with it in any case. Unfortunately, no box, just the gun.

Thanks,
Clive.

rem33,

Thanks for that. So it's '51. Seems a shame to even use this one because it's so nice.

Maybe I have to look for another to actually use.:)

-Clive.

Well, I do collect guns. Dunno about 'lucked out'. I knew what it was -but I guess the dealer didn't.:)

Here's a pic, anyway. Blue is 100%, nice for a 50+ year old gun and the only mark is the slight chequering scuff near the safety. I imagine the bright plating and the red emblem paint will always suffer somewhat with age.

Lucky to get a bargain for once, right!

-Clive.

Attachments

• DSCF0127.JPG
    DSCF0127.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 197
In outstanding, like new condition with the cod wood box, I believe it would fetch about $575 in a well advertised sale. Yes, the red logo commands a premium.

Without the box, I believe the pistol might be worth about $400.

Back