Ruger SR45 Rave

Jacket67

Hey TFL,

I just thought I'd post a bit of a report of the Ruger SR45 I shot recently. My uncle got one recently and brought it to do some shooting. Admittedly, I've become somehwat of a snob and have looked down on this handgun model (in all calibers) as not being up to par. That it was simply a cheap handgun on the market to compete in the budget striker fired class. After shooting it yesterday, I now say it is anything but.

While it doesn't have the track record of Glock, S&W, Sig, and the like, it was a phenomenal shooting handgun in .45 acp. The grip and ergonomics were comfortable, ambi mag release was great given I'm a lefty, and the trigger was decent enough to make it a good shooter. A bit stiff, but decent. I also noticed for the first time that the rear sight is adjustable, which I liked given the SR9 I shot previously landed extremely high for me.

I have always loved Ruger as a company primarily for their rifles. My AR556 has been great, and everyone knows the 10-22 is a great rifle as well. I have to say that because of the great experience I had with it, I will be looking at purchasing one in the near future. 10 rounds of .45 acp in a great, manageable, affordable package.

The ONLY thing to date that I would change is it had a manual safety. Not a huge deal given I'd use it for HD and range fun, but I'd prefer it be more 1911-like, or simply removed.

What have been your experiences with this platform?

I said, said I, I wish they made a full size gun with trigger as fine as my little LC9s.
But wait! Maybe they do.
SR9 does.
Not as fine as my Burwell Smith, but better than any factory striker I have seen.

I feel called upon to treat the LC9s as SA with safety engaged, and would the SR9.

I sold my G26 after buying a Ruger SR9c. I shot it better, I like the safety, and with the 10 round mag is more compact than the G26. With the 17 round mag it has the same capacity as a G17. Sold the G43 after buying the Ruger LC9s for all the same reasons.

In a bigger gun I still like my G19 better and Ruger has no answer for my G20 and G29 so I still consider myself a "Glock Guy". But there is room in my safe for other guns.

Back