Ruger Speed Six 9mm(pics and questions)

para-EDGe

Inactive
Hello all, this is my first post here(I post on alot of forums but have just gotten around to registering and posting here, a guys gotta sleep sometime don't he? :D )

Recently I bought a Ruger Speed Six and have begun the search for the ever elusive "moon clips" of whichever sort will work in it. I read alot of the posts here and got some info from another forum that La Prade has them, any first hand knowledge of that? any S&W clips that'll work? How bout 1/2 and 1/3 moon type?

Saw someone who wanted pics etc so here's a link to a album of pics(I'm no photog so they aren't as well lit as I'd like, I'll have to upgrade them someday ;) )
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=648539&a=12173116

Anyone know when the speed six was discontinued? also any other info is appreciated as to date codes, possible modifications, etc(I know I'm asking for alot)I read that there was a limited production run of these for the Coast Guard,any truth to that?

My current plan is to send it to Dane Burns for a conversion job to 9x23(see a thread titled "9x23 in s&w 940?" at the 1911forum general discussion forum for more info on that) :D :D
View

Regards,
EDG

That's a beautiful gun. I'm sorry I can't help you in your quest for moonclips. According to the January 1999 issue of Shooting Times, the GP100 was introduced in 1985 to replace the Security/Service Six line of revolvers (the Speed Six is part of the same line, right?), with the SP101 following in 1988. Both were designed to be tougher than the Security/Service Six line. According to the article, the Security/Service Six revolvers were suffering the same fate of the K-frame _&_s. When shot a LOT with full power, 125 grain .357 magnum loads they developed cracked forcing cones and stretched frames. I've read lots of threads here about K-frames and do they or don't they wear out and how many hot rounds of .357 can you really send through them and the consensus is that there is no consensus. I find it hard to believe you can wear out a Speed Six like yours shooting 9mm. It sure looks like you've got a niiiiiiiice gun. Goood luck finding clips for it.

Have you considered contacting Ruger directly re: the moon clips. Another suggestion is Gunpartscorp.com.

The Speed-Six was retailed to approx. 1988.

There is a book by Wilson on Ruger. There are charts in the back that give date of manufacture in relation to serial number.

Ranch products here in Ohio is supposed to sell those for the Ruger. They advertise in Gun list. If you need info on them let me know, I'll have to dig it up .

Thanks for the responses.
Just FYI: As I mentioned I plan on sending it to Dane Burns for a conversion job to be able to shoot 9x23(and apparently this conversion allows all other 9mm based calibers with an auto rim that works in the clips to be shot as well :D )I'll know more once I get ready to send it off(gotta shoot it a little like it is first :D ) Also I managed to get 18 fullmoon clips from TKcustom(guees he had a last few laying around)and just got them today but am still in the market for plenty of spares.

glockdoc, thanks for the compliment and info, from what I've read and come to understand the 9x23 I'll be shooting is ballistically identical to .357mag with a little less flash due to the ability to use hotter powder(I'm no reloader yet so I'm not sure of the dynamics of that whole line of thought yet) so it will be a good test of the frame, but since it'll be able to shoot regular 9mm still it most likely will not get too many hot loads through it at the range. http://www.burnscustom.com scroll down to "all about 9x23".

RON in PA,thanks for the leads on the numbers I'll contact Wilson and see if I can locate a copy of the book. The owner of the shop I bought it from is supposed to be getting me some from Ruger(I couldn't find any contact info on thier webpage but I may just have overlooked it)so I'll see what he comes up with there.

wayne, Yes , Please give me any info you can to contact Ranch products. I've tried google searches and found plenty of references to them but no contact info at all except some retailers who sell thier products and I only subscribe to SGN right now, however there's a gunshow tommorow and I'llpick up a copy of Gunlist. thanks.

in summary, finding a gun like this(actually I kinda stumbled upon it as I'm not really a revolver guy, until now :D by reading about the possibility for revolver conversions to 9x23 etc. then asking at a local shop what they had in 9mm revolvers and he pulls this out!!! nice when that happens) the most fun, and frustrating at the same time, is tracking down all this extra stuff (like a holster and sight options etc. next).

Thanks to all for the info. also added a couple of pics of the FMC's I got :D to the photopoint link above.
View

Regards,
EDG

Ranch Products
P.O. Box 145
Malinta, Oh. 43535

No Phone number, it says to send a self addressed stamped envelope for a sample, I also think they send a price sheet.

Hmmm, another one of those places huh :D well looks like I'll be mailing an envelope. And some money to LaPrade as well for a catalog.

Thanks.

EDG

EDG

I think some of these places are 1 or 2 guys, working out of their garage, and don't really have anyone in an office !

small business

That's the best places to buy from Wayne, even if it's a little inconvenient. :D
Sometimes I get the "gotta have it now"'s and just can't wait. :D
I'd much rather buy from a small business than some of the other places that have a full staff of airheads ;)

Now that I've got enough moon clips to get me started I don't mind waiting a little on a catalog or order from one of these other places.

EDG

Russian ammo

It isn't Wolf but it is Russian, from the Ulyanovsk plant. all I had on hand at the time I got the clips and took the pic. Stuff works pretty good but is very dirty, fired 24rds. of it through the Ruger sunday and it's got soot all in the chambers and bbl from just those few rounds(also works good in an Uzi but the soot is a problem after alot of rounds).

EDG

[Edited by para-EDGe on 03-27-2001 at 06:48 PM]

Back