Ruger SP101

k5blazer

I recently acquired a used SP101. A friend liked it so much that he ordered one. His came in Saturday and so off to the range we went. He was using factory ammo (110 grain) and I was using reloads (125 JHP). We noticed that we both were shooting low and to the left. We swapped ammo, same results. Swapped guns, same result. Low and to the left in the 7:00 positin.

We then switched to 9mm autos. He has a FEG and I have a BHP. No problems shooting these. Returned to the SP101's and still shooting low and to the left.

Same gun, different shooters, different ammo but the same results. Is this the gun or us?

You're both right-handed, right? (I'm a lefty, and my initial SP-101 shots went to 5 o'clock.) This is a common problem with heavy trigger pulls. Pull the trigger very slowly and pay very close attention to keeping the sights on at the very end of your trigger pull, and you'll find the problem easing up. I got to where I was familiar enough with the SP-101's trigger that the problem went away.

I loved the SP-101, but I have to say this was the only time it ever took me so long to get accustomed to a gun's trigger. Smooth, but too heavy. (The SPs' triggers will lighten up somewhat after extended use. Check your manual; doesn't Ruger recommend dry-firing to help this out?)

I have fired bullet weights from 110 grain up to 180 grains out of my SP-101 and it shoots low with them all. The gun is accurate, shoots tight groups; all low. One guy said that this is because they used the same sights as they do for the .38. I am going to try mine with .38s and see if he is right. I have only fired full house .357s out of mine.

At least yours shoots! I've had to send two new ones back. The first time Ruger shipped a new gun, had it the next weekend. Took that one back to the dealer last Friday, Ruger told him they were out of SP's, send it in for repairs. Not sure when I'll get it back.

Shoot it with an absolutely still bench rest, with the sights absolutely on the target, and determine whether the sights are off.

If the bullets are impacting below point of aim, you can file the front sight down to raise point of impact.

I'm not sure what you could do for windage (left vs right), though.

Back