Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel?

Dave R

I've fondled a few of these in shops lately, always with 2" or 3" barrels. I see that they come in 4". Anyone own one or shot one with 4"? Does the extra inch make it muzzle-heavy? The 3" seems like a very well-balanced gun. Very concealable. But that extra inch might give some tighter groups...

Comments? Experiences?

All SP-101s I have shot have proven to be accurate, of cousre a 4" will be easier to shoot accuratetly and it does look better than the 3" bbl.
Recently I found an SP-101 4"in 32 Mag. Damn, I should have bought it.

All the 4" SP101s I've ever seen were either .32 H&R or .22 LR. As far as I know Ruger's never made a 4" in .357 Mag or .38 Spl. I wish they did, that extra 1" would be nice and the adjustable sights would be a plus. I can't understand why Ruger doesn't make a 4" SP101 in .357 Mag with adjustable sights, it would sure be a niffty "kit" gun. -- Kernel

Kernel, that's EXACTLY what I would like, too. Guess I'm outa luck.

Does Taurus or anyone else make a small frame (mid frame") 5-shot .357 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights?

Ruger also makes the GP-100 in 4 inch FWIW. I've shot the 4 inch GP-100 and it's rather well balanced, much more so than the 6 inch one I own now.

I dunno about Taurus but S&W makes the 5-shot round butt J-frame Model 60 with adjustable sights and a 3" tube. And there's the round butt L-frame 686 in 3" and 4" with adjustable sights. And of course the K-frame 65. All readily available on the used market. -- Kernel

SP 101 4" .22 LR........BEWARE

I had one of these and sold it (actually traded it in). Very accurate and great overall, but the damn shells would stick in the chambers after firing to the point that it took a screwdriver to pry them out. The really bad thing was that just two cylinder fulls through got the chambers extremely sticky. It seems to be a strictly .22 LR problem, as my .357 mag SP 101 does not do this. Of course, I might have just gotten a lemon .22 LR SP 101......

Back