Ruger SP101 vs. S&W Mdl. 60..... Get it on!

Daedalus

I have been looking for a home defense / conceal carry revolver, and am thinking about the two revolvers listed. Both are 5 shot .357 magnums with the 3" barrels. I have handled the Ruger and was satisfied with it. But I have not shot it, nor have I handled or shot the S&W. Which would you choose and why? I'm leaning towards the Ruger because its priced better. But I'm guessing the smith is of higher quality and I believe it has adjustable rear sights.

Model 60
m60.jpg

SP101
ksp831b.gif

It's all been said here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84210

Short form: the Ruger is the better design, far tougher, can be detail-stripped by a non-gunsmith. Which makes it easy to do home-installed spring kits that minimalize the differences in the trigger.

The Smith has a nicer finish and trigger, and weighs a bit less.

As to the sights, the Ruger with an easily installed Ashley Express Small Dot Tritium will do you just fine :).

Ruger is better IMO.

The Ruger (even their small framed SP 101) can digest thousands of .357 magnum rounds without any problems. A small framed Smith is more likely to run into problems with excessive full power loads. Additionally, the Ruger is very easy to take apart, and the overall design is better (I prefer push button cylinder release for example, the factory grips are awesome ergonomically IMO, and the recoil is gonna be less than the S&W due to heavier weight). Because the Ruger is easy to take apart, you can easily change mainsprings yourself, which will improve trigger pull.

The main advantage of the S&W is much better out of the box trigger pulls, and a more refined action.

I think you would be happy with either one, but if you plan to do SERIOUS shooting (ie shoot a LOT of magnums), go with the Ruger.

Well, I'll play devil's advocate and say to go Smith. It's smaller and lighter. If you plan on carrying, that's a big advantage. Especially if you consider the new Scandium Smith that's coming out. a 2 inch J-frame at 12 ounces that can handle .357. WOW!!!

I know, politics. Everyone is pissed at S&W for the "agreement", but I think it was Ruger who started the whole 10 round mag thing. That's a bigger pain in my rear than anything in the "agreement".

My one suggestion is that you consider the 2 inch barrels instead of the 3. If you're going to carry, you're going to have a much easier time with a 2 incher. If you're going to go for something that you can't fit in a pocket or ankle holster, you might as well get a 6 shot gun like the 66.

Ditto harbinger,
who ditto'd Ben,
who ditto'd Jim.

Jim's right.

Smith has a nicer trigger Out of the box, but Ruger is built tougher, and has a nicer overall feel IMHO.

I'd buy a sp101 regardless of price or the fact that Smith sold us all out.

JT

as usual, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc...

Back