Ruger SP101 .38 v .357

Runner

I see Ruger lists a 3.5" .38 Spl +P SP101 (KSP-831) and a separate 3.5" .357 SP101 (KSP-331X). Both are listed as having the same weight and dimensions. So what's the difference? Why buy the .38? I guess I am not understanding something and hope someone can educate me.

The difference is in the cylinder. It's chambered slightly shorter for the 38. The reason you have a 38 is if you plan on shooting 38's out of it. Many women, law enforcement agencies, and foreign countries have no need for a magnum. Headlines with the word "Magnum" in them are flashy and make the shooter sound blood thirsty. Finally, shooting 38's out of a .357 will eventually lead to the inability to chamber a magnum in some cases due to fouling, leading, etc.

Badger, thanks for the feedback. This weapon will be for my wife and she would not plan on shooting .357. Now we know which model to get.

I shoot .38sp out of my S&W 19 and never had a problem chambering a .357 mag round. I shoot all year with
lead swc 158 gr. and then for deer season I switch to .357 magnums. If you keep your gun clean, you'll not have a problem. The best thing about the .357 mag pistol is that you have the choice of which round to shoot. I have found resale prices for the .357 magnum to be more to my liking than that of the .38sp. If your wife does not like it, you may want to shoot it.......
Happy Intruder Shooting...............

IMHO, with the SP-101's short barrel the price of magnums is excessive muzzle blast and heavier recoil. As snubbies go the SP-101 is fairly robust and can handle magnums easily, the question is will you? My girlfriends SP-101 is great with +P ammo such as Remington Golden Saber, but the one time we went to magnums it wasn't pleasant.

OTOH

I have shot 110 gr. 357's out of my 2 1/4" SP101 and they are quite manageable. So manageable in fact, that I am going to research the "perfect round" in .357 magnum for the SP with 110 gr. JHP's...

As to why they even make it in 38, a lot of security companies and even some police departments mandate a 38 special revolver specifically so employee's can't use 357 ammo in it. You have also got a lot of people that walk into gunshops and say give me a snub nose 38 (just because thats what they heard on TV) this way the salesman can just hand over the 38 Ruger without a lot of explaining that the 357's better because it can use both. So it basically comes down to just not wanting to miss out on those sales.

Regards, Blue Duck

Since they are otherwise alike; I would go with the .357mag version. You can always shoot light loads in a mag but you don't have the option of shooting the mag loads in the special.

Sam...A Jennings in hand beats two Wilsons in the safe.

Forgot to put advice in my post. Yes, I'd pick the .357 also. If you ever plan on selling the gun, it'll bring a premium that way. If, however, you can save the money upfront on the gun that could also be a consideration.

Handgun: I've seen two 357's that you couldnt' chamber a magnum in for the reasons I've stated above. Proper care most-often prevents this condition, but I wasn't making a suggestion, just putting forward why other people make their decisions. I think "Magnum-phobia" is the main reason though.

Badger, what were the 2 -357's that you could'nt chamber the mag rounds? Just curious.....I think "magnum-phobia" does play a part in the decision, as you stated......
Happy Shooting...

Back