Ruger SP-101

popeye

I am gonna buy a Ruger SP 101 2in (or 2 1/2 whatever it is) in .32 magnum. Anybody have one of these. Prefer 6 shots over 5, and more control than .357.

I did a four-gun test of 50 rounds of ammo, each. Maximum speed fire, multiple targets at varying ranges from 7 to 15 yards. All .357s. A worked-over S&W large frame 4" (I forget the Model), a very good Model 66 6", a Python 6" and an SP 101 4".

I absolutely shot best with the Ruger.

But I dunno nuthin' about the .32 Maggie.

FWIW, Art

I currently have three .32 H&R Mag revos...and one IS an SP101. Mine is a three-inch that's been to Jack Weigand's shop and had his "Tame the Beast" package done to it...action job, porting-!, etc...no, I didn't send it...the previous owner did, and I was able to buy it "pre-owned" for a couple bucks LESS than I could have purchased a new one for! The porting is very effective in keeping the muzzle "down" during "rapidfire", tho' the .32 doesn't kick much anyway...I like Georgia Arms' 100 gr. JHP load very well, and I like the Hogue "Monogrips" better then the factory Ruger grips, FWIW. Mine shoots very well...IMHO, a VERY GOOD revo for those concerned with the recoil/blast from "Snubby" .357's and .38 Plus-P's...one more round in the cylinder, more controllable to boot!!!....mikey357

Art- "All .357s" ... "and an SP 101 4"."

Sorry, that's not possible. The SP101 in 357mag is only available in 2 1/4" and 3 1/16". Maybe you shot the GP100? it's much larger than the SP.

Before you take that leap, have you tried .38 spcl or .357 out of j-frame. You may not dislike the recoil as much as you imagine? I was underwhelmed shooting .357 out of my S&W Model 60. With the right load and proper technique, it was quite manageable. Still I mostly shoot .38 spcl. out of it for it's faster second shot capability (for me).

RJ

I have had smaller revolvers (S&W 19 2 1/2IN., and I currently have a S&w 36). My last birthday made me an official old fart and my night vision is gettin worse. I live in Indiana where my choice of carry guns is unlimited. I usually carry a Glock 19 or .45 acp officers Colt. At night when I walk my little mutt I'd prefer sumthin with a little less muzzle flash, that I can stick in a jacket pocket and leave the holsters at home.

Back