Ruger SP 101 vs. S&W Model 60

GDB

Inactive
I am considering trading my Ruger SP 101 (.357, 3 " + barrel) plus some cash for a simailr size and caliber S&W Model 60. My brief comparison follows.

S&W Pros

Better trigger pull - even after a lighter mainspring in and a lot of firing of the Ruger
Slightly more comfortable grip - even after putting Hogue grips on the Ruger
Adjustable sights

Ruger Pros

Nearly indestructible
Excellent Customer Service
I already own it

I was wondering about build quality between the two. I also notice the S&W is slightly lighter. Are their recoils much different?

I pretty much know how to examine a revolver but I am not familiar with the S&W 60. Is there anything unique to the 60 I should look for if/when I reexamine the gun.

Obviously I have to decide which gun I like better but any comparisons you can make between the two would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GDB

I have the SP101 and consider it to be the smallest and lightest revolver you would want for any fair amount of .357 shooting. I don't know from personal experience, but everything I've read and heard from folks who have used the Smith J frame .357's is that they are brutal to shoot.

I don't think you can beat a J frame Smith in .38, but my impression is they are just too small and light for .357's.

I did the research, and ended up with a model 60. The biggest pro to the 60 was the size and weight as compared to the SP101. The 60 is just lighter and smaller (I had the 3 finger boot grips replaced with the 2 finger grips when I bought it).

Shooting .357's out of it is not that bad. It's still a heavy gun. However, I've since purchased a 342ti (titanium 38) which was fairly uncomfortable to shoot. I then traded the 342 on a 340 (scandium 357). I haven't shot it yet, but expect it to be rough.

Let me chime in as one more vote that a Model 60 need not be "brutal" with .357.

When I want to shoot .357 from mine, I go with 110 gr. semi-jacketed hollow points. I'd call recoil stout without being painful and with very acceptable second shot speed.

Randy

I bought my Model 60 (.38 spl.) a few years ago--it's my first, and so far, only revolver. Very nice gun. I put 1 piece (Hogue, I think) Coco Bolo grips on it, and it makes the gevolver even more beautiful. The rubber boot grips that came with it were much more suited for pocket carry, but I couldn't resist the wood!

As far as firing it goes, it couldn't be a nicer gun to shoot. Nice light, even recoil, and not much muzzle blast (at least during the day).

Now, my only dilema is I have an itch to upgrade to a .44 spl. Somebody please talk me out of trading the 60 for a new wheel gun!

(BTW, you can't go wrong with the Model 60)

Another vote for the Model 60, I've owned mine since the late 80s and I love it. But it's in .38 special cal. I can imagine what a full house magnum would be like in such a light weight gun. :eek:

7th

If your Ruger is a good one and you are comfortable with it.
Keep it.
Spend the bucks on ammo and practice.

Sam

So why get rid of anything? Just add the 60 to your collection. If you check around you'll find that most who trade or sell off their guns, later regret it. If it's a matter of finances then hold off till ya can raise the cash. There will always be another model 60 looking for a good home. Never sell, only acquire! Just my .02.

Yes, I have also regretted selling guns but I came up with another option. I traded a .38 that I never shot and some cash for the S&W Model 60 and kept the Ruger. Sure I now have two very similar guns but at least I can do a good side-by-side test.

GDB

I second Torpedo.Buy and keep--never sell.
As far as the comparison between the Ruger and the Smith is concerned,go for the Smith,a much better gun.
Mind you,if you need to throw a lump of metal at someone,a Ruger is as good as anything.

Back