Ruger SP 101 vs. S&W M60 2.25"

sox

Rented these two side by side this last weekend trying to sort out which to get. I really liked both, but the ruger seemed to absorb recoil a tad better. I am lookin for comfort. I had a 342PD, but to be honest it was too light. I like to shoot my guns, and think it's important with snubbies. I am trying to trade my Glock 26 even for an SP 101 in Atlanta, GA under the buy/sell section. So far, no luck. I liked the Ruger a little better due to the fact it is easier to disassemble/toy with. I also like the ability to exchange the front sight. All the posts about the SP, on this board, have been very helpful in my decision. I also thought the SP trigger was a little better. The sight picture was way better on the Ruger.

Seems ta me ya kind of answered your own question. Ya like the Ruger better. Go for it. Ya can't go wrong with a Ruger. They are very good revolvers. If ya wanted ta save a few bucks ya could go with a security six, speed six or a police six. All are reliable work horses that ya can get for a pretty good price, if ya shop around a bit. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever ya decide on.

SP for shooting pleasure. Fell in love when I shot one a while ago and after shopping around now I finally own one. Solid, reliable, not too bad lookin' either!

Well, I liked the Ruger better, but wound up gettin the S&W. What can I say. I traded for it this weekend. That coupled with the fact that I had about 10 pairs of J frame grips made it a little easier. Shooting thing is really fun. Now, I don't use .357. I am not that brave, yet. But it is way more comfortable than my 342PD I had. I love this thing. It is very accurate at 10 yards, almost dead on with 125grain. Very controllable.

I shoot 110 grain .357 winchester through my model 60, it 'slaps' my hand a little bit, but it dosn't hurt and it's pretty controlable. No where near as bad as shooting .44 magnums in a six inch N-frame. Bite the bullet and see if it bites your hand. :P
BTW I was spotting for my dealer while he tested an sp101 against his model 60 tonight. He was trying to make up his mind which to keep and which to sell. If he keeps the Smith I may buy the Ruger for my dad.

Radagast

Back