Ruger SP-101; Changing hammers

Zeef

Inactive
Help!

I purchased a spurless hammer for my spurred-hammer SP-101 snub.

I have taken my spurred-hammer SP apart many times. But when I swapped-out the hammer with the sprurless one, the trigger would bind half-way through the double-action trigger stroke.

After holding both hammers together to compare, I noticed everything was the same except for a raised edge where the spurred hammer met the trigger. The spurless hammer did not have this.

Question: Are there any other parts I can swap-out to correct this or is this a job best left to a gunsmith?

Thanks,

Z

Zeef,
The problem you are having is an interference problem. This is commonly called the transfer, where the hammer is first being cammed back by the sear and then transfers to the trigger for the duration of the cycle. If you will notice the radiused portion on the bottom of the hammer, this needs to be fit to the trigger/gun combination. It would be my suggestion that you find a Pistolsmith to do the fitting. The parts can be turned into junk in a hurry.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Jack - Welcome to TFL! I seriously doubt that you remember me, but I remember you for the good advice you gave me a few years back on the phone concerning a Ruger SRH. Hope to see you here often.

Whoa!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Weigand! It's an honor to hear from a gentleman of your (sorry about this one! :rolleyes: ) caliber!

Thanks all,
I am trying to get to some of the forums to see what is hot. I thank you all for the warm welcome. By the way feel free to call me Jack.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Back