Ruger Single-Seven Opinions

Siggy-06

Looking to pick up another single action soon and came across the Ruger Single-Seven in .327 fed. It'll be for plinking and hiking, maybe some range work.

I'm trying to decide between the 4.62 vs the 5.5 inch barrel lengths. Which one has a better balance to it? I know the 4.62 will be easier to carry/drive with, and theres not a huge jump in ballistics.

Any other addional info is appreciated.

Generally the shorter the barrel, the better balance the gun is. Personally when it comes to single actions, I like the 5.5 inch barrels over the 4.62 and 7.5 inch barrels; a little longer barrel and sight radius, but not an extremely large revolver.

.327 Federal is a very high pressure cartridge, even an extra inch of barrel will increase velocities 75-100 fps. For how little the bullet weighs, any extra velocity added to it increases its power and increases the distance you can shoot at.

Extra barrel length will make shooting weaker .32 ammo more fun too. Will barely be any recoil.

Were this .45 Colt I'd say 4.62" barrel.

Good for you. I like most things Ruger. The Single-Seven .327 magnum sounds like it would be a real 'hoot to shoot' gun. It might even be such a niche gun that it becomes that rare thing, 'a Ruger collectible'.

If/when you get it please come back with a range report.

Not a Single Seven, but I had a 4.75" put on my SAA .44. It "handled" well and looked Kewl, but the accuracy was not as good and I went back to the 7.5" I started with.
So here I would get the 5.5".

I have one of each 4.62 and 5.5.I think the 5.5 is the better shooting for accuracy, but the 4.62 shoots quite well and is nearly as easy to shoot accurately. So I'm going to suggest handling them both and deciding what feels best to you.

What feels best to you. I like 5 1/2" barreled Single Actions myself ... and yes I have a 5 1/2" Single Seven.

I have both and can only say that the 4.62 is as long a barrel as I prefer to carry strong side. I would recommend starting there.

I find that the S7 in either barrel length is not naturally steady in my hand compared to how my other guns shoot, so I have to really concentrate to hold a steady aim through the trigger pull. For target or hunting, I think the longer barrel can help there.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up ordering the 5.5 inch S7. Only a very small increase to weight and length for better sight radius and higher velocity sold me. I'll try to find some FO sights for it. I read the Willams firesights front isnt tall enough?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up ordering the 5.5 inch S7. Only a very small increase to weight and length for better sight radius and higher velocity sold me. I'll try to find some FO sights for it. I read the Willams firesights front isnt tall enough?

Working with a holster fit issue right now and can say that the stock front sight on mine is right on 1/2" off the crest of the barrel. Both 4 5/8 and 5.5 measure the same.

Back