Ruger Single Seven Jams

Matt M

Sometimes my transfer bar hits the firing pin mid hammer cock which prevents the hammer from going back further without first setting it back down which causes it to skip a bullet in the cylinder. Has anyone else experienced this? Why is it that this revolver does this where others do not?

You need to figure out why the transfer bar hits the firing pin mid hammer cock. The Single Sevens are a distributor exclusive thing so it may have to go back where you bought it. Timing's off.
Oh and it's not skipping a bullet. It's a cartridge.

Smart guy...
I don't know about you, but the bullet is part of every cartridge I fire... and this gun, now and then, skips it.

So it's a timing thing. Thank you, that answers the question.

I'm done buying these "distributor exclusives". This is only the second one I bought, the other being an engraved talo sp101, and the quality control on both of them has been less than satisfactory.

Last edited:
Sounds like the little spring plunger in the rear end of the base pin may not be holding the transfer bar off of the firing pin until whacked.
Might be a bad spring or plunger, might be the transfer bar binding and the plunger not able to overcome the friction.

After fooling with it, I'm thinking it may be the cylinder pin wasn't in the exact right spot on reassembly. I can pull the cylinder pin out a little and it does that jam all day. Maybe I just didn't have that pin in well enough, or in the exact right spot. ?

Thank you for the reply Jim. I think you may be 100% right. I do not have a lot of experience with transfer bar single actions. I may be asking dumb questions.

Last edited:
A properly fitted base pin (cylinder pin) should not come out far enough to let tension off the transfer bar, so the problem might lie in the base pin or base pin latch as well as in the spring or plunger.

T O'Heir: "Correction" not really necessary.
Matt M: Sarcasm not necessary either.
Both: Chill.

Jim

The base pin can jump out of its notch when firing the Single Seven. This is a common problem with the increased recoil the 327 Federal Magnum creates. When the base pin jumps out of its notch, the plunger doesn't push the transfer bar away from the firing pin. Wolff makes an extra power base pin spring for the Single Seven. This eliminates the problem. Should Ruger have addressed the problem? Yes. Is it an easy fix? Yes. Buy the spring from Wolff and problem solved.

I wish someone would make an SA revolver with a better base pin catch. There were a dozen different ones in the old solid frame "suicide specials" and all worked better than the Colt design to retain the base pin. But I have little hope of improvement, since the Colt SAA is cast in concrete as the way an SA should look and work and that base pin catch is part of it.

Jim

Back