Ruger Service Six 9MM ????

wayne

Wondering what anyone can tell me about this revolver. Such as type of sights etc...

What gunsmiths out there really know how to make a Ruger trigger truly smooth ? I understamnd there are a few who really can work the Ruger trigger.

Also, are full moon clips readily available for this gun and from who ?

AND lastly, does anybody have any experience with the Service Six, and the full moon clips ? Do the rounds flop around on the moon clips, or are they tight for fast realoading.

Just found a NIB one of these locally, and wondered what type of IDPA SSR gun it might make ?

I've got a "Speed Six" 9mm on the way...not here yet, though. My understanding is that 9mm "full-moon" clips for the six-shot Ruger are available from LaPrade in TN and from Ranch Products in OH...and I'll be checking on that shortly! I'm not sure I'd use a "Speed Six" for competition...I prefer higher-profile, adjustable sights on my "Comp" guns, but...to each his own! As far as "slicking up" the Rugers, Jack Weigand in PA does excellent work, as does Lou Ciamillo in GA...so does Ron Power in MO and Charlie Prest in AZ...don't know about the "floppiness factor" of the six-shot 9mm moons yet...but I'll let you know when I find out!....mikey357

Mikey,

Whats the barrel length on the speed six ? I don't know about 20 yard shots on the classifier, but in scenarios in IDPA "that make sense" I found my 2" model 10 fixed sights accurate enough. I would hope a 4" fix sight even better ?
I thought for some time that this could be a good IDPA gun, should be quick to reload. I'm mostly concerned about the moon clips, as that .40 revolver by S&W really died in IDPA because of the floppy moon clips and the .40's.

Wayne--the 9mm "Speed Six" that I'm waiting on has a 2&3/4 inch barrel...I believe that they were also made with four-inch barrels, but am not sure...Rugers are not really my area of primary interest, but...since it uses "moon clips", I just HAD to have it!!!....mikey357

Back