Ruger security/speed six (how good)

bullfrog99

I like the concept of the ruger KGP-141, but the thing is mighty heavy. the speed/security six revolvers are lighter, and seem more ballanced to me but i want to know how well they last in the long run. are they durable like there younger sibling or do they shoot out easily. also are they accurate and are they strong.

My buddy and I have stainless Sec. Sixes

Both have fires 5rd., 1" groups at the 25yd. line from a sandbag rest. I don't think you can expect that from most factory ammo, but with handloads, it is obviously possible.

I don't think you'd ever have to worry about shooting one 'out'.:) Unlike Smiths, you can even field-strip it down to the sub-assemblies for cleaning, much like you would do with an auto pistol. I USED to say that you could not get the trigger massaged as well as you can with a Smith action. My frien's gun proved me wrong.:D

You are right about the balance. Mr. Bill took one of the best features of the Smith M-19/66 and put it into the final product with the Six series. IMHO, you should find clean stainless examples for $225-$250, and $25-$50 less for blued. They are a great buy.

The Service/Speed/Security Six revolves are "strong like tractor" and typically quite accurate. They are among the best .357 revolvers on the used market, IMO.

The GP-100 series is very good, and if you want to approximate the balance and heft of the older Rugers, you can get the GP-100 without the full-length barrel underlug, and with fixed or adjustable sights.

Of course, I would never buy a new gun from Ruger, given Papa Bill selling us out for his benefit. If you don't know what I mean, check out "William B. Ruger, Sr.'s dirty little secret":

http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-papabill.html

I'm going to echo what the others have said, the Security/Speed six line of guns are excellent. I own a GP100 and used to have a Speed Six (never should have traded that one away) I wouldn't say either is better than the other, the GP100 is a tad stronger, but the older version is a tank as well.

Back