Ruger Security Six

FanAttic

Hello all

I am completely new to the gun world and am seeking advice. I should be getting my Indiana CCW in just a few short days. I've waited almost a month with grand anticipation.

I lurked around this site for quite some time and have taken the advice of many of the participants here. I am going to take a pistol class at the local gunrange for safety and performance pointers.

I still need to fire a lot of different types of guns to find the one that suits me best, but I am convinced that the practicality of a revolver will probably lead me to go that route.

I have looked real hard at the ruger SP101 2 1/4" snubbie and I like the gun a lot, but have read a lot of posts about the ruger security six.

Can anybody post a picture of one? Does it come with a spurless hammer? Should I assume that the "six" refers to the cartridge capacity?

Bottom line: will someone compare the SP101 spurless 2 1/4" snubbie to the Security Six for me?

Thanks

Michael:D

The Security Six has been discontinued for several years, but they are as durable as any other Ruger so there are a lot of them around. Some are even for sale. There are three variations; the actual Security Six has adjustable sights, square butt, and 2.75", 4", or 6" barrel. The Police Service Six has fixed sights, and square butt. Most are 4" but there are probably some 2.75". The Speed Six has fixed sights, round butt, and 2.75" or 4" barrel.
The Speed Six could be had with spurless hammer but they are not real common.

Hang around the gun store and gun shows to get a look. Only you can decide if the extra shot is worth the larger size. It is a lot smaller than the current GP 100, for sure.

I have had a couple of Speed Sixs in the past and really liked them. I prefered them to the Security Six due to their fixed sights and rounded grip (less sharp corners). The 2 3/4" makes a very nice holster carry gun. I have seen a few Security Sixs with 2 3/4" barrels, but they are pretty uncommon.

I bobbed the hammers on all of mine with a dremel tool and some small files. Any good gunsmith should be able to do this for you, but be careful if you cut or change the factory springs.

revolver geek

Why is it a bad idea to change the springs? From what I have read about the sp101, it seems that a lot of people change the spring on that gun (we are talking about reducing trigger pull, right?).

And I'm still interested in seeing a picture of a security six or a speed six. Any advice on where to look? Gunbroker.com did not have anything for me to look at.

oh, I didn't mean that it was a bad idea at all....Guess i condensed too many thoughts down too fast and left a thought or two out :D

On my three Ruger Speed Sixs, the factory mainspring had PLENTY of thump to reliably pop primers even after the hammer had been bobbed.
If you bob the hammer (reduce it's mass) and change the springs (reduce the tension) then you increase the chance of having ignition problems. There is nothing wrong with doing both, but if you do just make sure that you test fire it *well* with your defensive ammo of choice.

This is assuming that you change to a lighter than factor spec spring with the goal of a lighter trigger pull. You may still be able to get spring kits with from Wolf or Brownells with factor strength springs that are intended to just give you a smoother double action pull, but not a lighter one.

Here is a picture of a Security Six with a 2 3/4" barrel:

http://rugrrdhwk.virtualave.net/secsix.html

Here is a picture of a Speed Six, also with 2 3/4" barrel:

http://rugrrdhwk.virtualave.net/speedsix.html

What advantages do you get with the SP101? Can it handle hotter loads? Or is it just extra round, ergonomics and/or firing pin lock?

I picked up used Security Six, 4" barrel, for under $300. Damn near mint. Looks like the previous owner used it as a conversation piece and dust collector.

Probably one of his buddies showed up one night with a semiauto and he just "had to have one". :)

the "six" might be refering to the capacity but i always thought it was just a logical progression from their SA .22 the "single-six".

sounds like you are looking for a smaller/handier gun. i would highly reccommend the speed-six with 2.75" barrel over the sp101

extra shot w/o a lot of additional weight
one of the strongest med frame .357 made
available as police department trade-in at reduced cost

the only advantage the sp101 holds is a superior factory grip and a cylinder locked at both ends

Thanks for the great info.

"9mmepiphany" You are right, I am looking for a smaller handier gun. This will be used for concealed carry everyday. Speed-six looks good, but I have two questions.

1. How much extra cost is there in getting a hammer bobbed (spurless hammer is a must in my mind)? The sp101 can come spurless from the factory.

2. Explain what you mean by police trade-in. Where would I go to find one. Who is going to have the gun that the department traded in (my local gunshop, internet, someone on this forum...?)

I like the extra shot and longer barrel of the speed six, I'm just not sure I can find one. I don't remember seeing one around here. Any ideas?

SP 101

Having shot quite a few of both, I'm most happy with the sp 101. The grips fit well and the geometry of the thing makes for better double action accuracy- at least for me. A lot of people swear by the 3" barrel version but the 2 .25 is plenty long enough for good accuracy. The sights are highly visible even in fairly dim light.

Ruger's Security Six-

I've owned two of these excellent weapons, during the past
decade; one a 4" blue version, the other a 4" stainless model.
Dressed up the stainless gentleman with a set of Pachmayr
grip's; and boy, it did shoot great. I never bobed the hammer
on either one; as I perfered having the option to thumb cock
these piece's, if I so desired. IMO, these were one of Ruger's
finest offerings in sidearm's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Can anybody post a picture of one? Does it come with a spurless hammer? Should I assume that the "six" refers to the cartridge capacity?
Here is my Security Six, Stainless Steel 4" .357 Magnum. Pachmayr Rubber grips, Adjustable sights. This is a superb and very accurate shooter, My Daughter will teach her children to shoot with this gun (super durable).
It was a gift from a friend, I am very thankful to him.

fK82203.jpg

Yeap!!!, it is one of my most valuable pieces (and I don't mean value in money). It is always there; reliable, very accurate, excellent weapon to train new converts.
Thank you for your kind words and Merry Christmas to you and all at TFL.
:)

Ah, yes, I remember it well...
Had a Security Six some years ago, sold it to a friend in a moment of weakness. It was a 6" barrel in stainless that shot very well indeed. I tried to buy it back but he knew what he had and would not budge,(heavy sigh), so now I'm in the process of getting a different .357 in stainless (Taurus 627 4") that hopefully fill that void.
Taught me a good lesson though, NEVER sell a good gun!;)

Muchas gracias Carlos,

Great picture:)

That gives me a much better idea of what to be keeping my eyes out for.

I'm pleased to hear all the good comments about ruger revolvers. Makes me feel better about my line of thinking when it comes to purchasing a reliable carry piece.

Enjoy your families next week!

Michael

I've got a line on a 6" Security Six in blue for $175. I don't need it, but for that price, will I like it?

Absolutely. Check the trigger action, though- the blue ones seem worse on that than the stainless ones for some reason. Not hard to do a trigger job on, but you could be looking at another hundred or so into it.

Back