Ruger Security six

Status
Not open for further replies.

house

I went to a local gun shop today and i bought a ruger security six and great condishion also most brand new. it had only about 100 shots fired from it. i payed 200.00 for the gun. I was wondering did i get a good buy? Also what kinda 357 mag loads should i use for this gun. I will be useinging it for personl defence,Idpa and a trail gun. please give me your info thank

You got a super excellent buy! These are great guns, and its practically impossible to wear them out. I would use a .357 load in 140 gr. to 158 gr. JHP. Select a bullet that has alot of lead exposed out past the jacket. The soft lead will begin to expand regardless of whether it has to penetrate clothing or not. The heavier weight will assure adequate penetration, always a potential problem with underpowered handgun loads. Over penetration should be the last thing you think about in a desperate situation. A bullet that doesn't penetrate deeply enough will not save you when your life hangs in the balance.

for got to say it has a 4in barrel its compact, i still have to wait to pick it up.
I am excited. Do they make speed loaders for this gun and also holster recomendashions?

Good buy, my first gun was a Ruger Security-Six with a 4" barrel. I sold it when I was poor and in college, I would love to have it back. It will take whatever you want to put through it, it is a fine weapon.

Fury

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

Greetings, You made an excellent purchase.
Ruger firearms are proof tested with loads
that are 30% above normal pressure ammo.
Makes reloading very interesting; however
I don't condone maximum loads in any weapon.

------------------
Ala Dan

house:

Yes...I think you got a great deal on a fine, very strong revolver as well.

I owned one back in the 1970s when I was in College...have fond memories of same.

Heavy bullets are good...125gr JHPs will work as well. With today's modern bullet designs, you should have more than adequate penetration from those as well.

Kydex holsters from Mad Dog or Blade-Tech will provide great service for the money (approx $60) and will last as long as the revolver. I have a Blade-Tech for my 686 and love it.

Mike

I've owned several Security and Speed Sixes, and never had a serious problem with one. The first I owned ( from 1976) and the last, a Speed Six I bought three years ago, are still with me. Speedloaders are available, and also the speed loaders for the "L" frame Smith and Wessons will work. Accessory grips, which are needed for my large hands, are available from Hogue or Pachmayr.

You made a fantastic purchase and got a great deal. I have had my Sec. Six for about 4 yrs now and have had no problems with it. It has made a great house/camping gun. I also would have to recomend a set of Hogue grips also.

Thanks for all your info. do any of e te webpages of maddog or bladtec holsters.
I got some good ammo on sale CCI blazer JHP
Looks like some good stuff. would you recomend useing this for selfdefence or just plinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back