Ruger Security Six Questions

Tennessean

Inactive
I Have an opportunity to purchase a Ruger Security Six from a friend. It is Stainless Steel, 4 inch barrel and is in very good condition. The serial number is 157-77xxx.

1. - How old is the gun ?

2. - What would be a fair price to pay for the gun ?

Any information and/or opinions would be appreciated.

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

It's a late 80's (or early 90's -- who cares? late enough -- need above 151 XXX) and a fair price is $275 or less.

Buy the gun regardless; they are superb.

Oh, and dry-fire ten thousand times. Suggest Snap-Caps.

Sob.......biggest sold-my-gun regrets are of Security Sixes......sob...

To the best of my knowledge, this gun was probably
manufactured between 1978-1990. The stainless
Security-Six is a very solid performer, with a wide
range of bullet's. Add a set of Pachmayr grip's and
you have an unbeatable combination. Price's may
vary greatly; depending on locale. Here in "The
Deep South" this weapon in LNIB condition would
most likely bring $300.00 easily.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

I really like this revolver, but it is bigger than what I am used to shooting on a regular basis. I own 2 handguns that I use for CCW - I have a small frame Charter Arms .38 snubby and a Kel Tec P11 and either will accomplish what I feel that I need to carry under normal conditons.

The weight of the gun doesn't bother me, but the grip is big for me. I am 5'8'' & 200 lbs, but I have hands the size of a 10 year old kid. Would the Pachmayr grips help my situation ?

I believe I will go ahead and buy the gun based on what I've already heard from you guys.

By the way he said he would let me have it for $175.00 cash, so if I don't buy it now, I'll be one of those who will be crying about "the one I let get away" on a future post.

Again, Thanks and I would love to hear any other comments or suggestions anyone else might have.

I have a blued one and it is very nice. I paid $165 in 99% and feel it was a very good buy. great shooter.:D

Pachmayr rubber grip's have what is known in the
"Gunworld" as an enclosed backstrap. Persons with
very small hands might find that the "trigger reach"
is a little long for them? If that seems to be a problem,
then try Hogue's Monogrip's; as they have an open
backstrap.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

T-Person

Don't let the 'grip' thing stop you from acquiring this gun. With the multiple millions of grips available I'm sure you can find the perfect fit.

$175? This may be the best gun deal of your life; take advantage of it..........

FWIW, if anything, I bought a blue Police Service Six(fixed sight model) in 1985 or 1986 and it has a 160 prefix.

John

I also have small hands, and found most grips too big for me when I installed them on my Security Six. I found a set of SILE grips that fit me to a "T". I don't know if they are still available, but I'd recommend them to anyone with small hands.

Attachments

• rugersec6.jpg
    rugersec6.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76
Back