Ruger security six:hhow are they?

I've had one in SS for 19 years

I'd imagine about $150 although they are very solid revolvers. It would take a whole bunch of serious .357 loads to shoot one loose. The trigger will need polishing to smooth out but it will probably never be as nice as a S&W trigger.

I carry a Security Six with a 2 3/4 barrel daily and I trust my life with it completely. I've had it for about a year now and have put at least 4,000 or so, maybe a third of which have been .357s and it's just as when I got it: in great condition.

I paid $230 for mine in stainless steel; I hear it wasn't a great price, but reasonable.
I would support the trade, but that's just me.

My price estimate may be dated and unrealisticly low. If it is in good shape then a higher price is easily justified.

The Security Six is the forerunner of the present GP series of Rugers. It's one of those guns that is arguably better than its sucessor: light enough, brutishly strong for a 'medium frame'; and more than adequately accurate, if you can accustom yourself to the 'non-S&W' trigger action, Many people criticise this last item, but I see it as like complaining that watermelons have seeds and pineapples don't. You can get used to either one, and inevitably hate the other.
If you can get a blued one for under $200, it's worth buying; stainless and near perfect would go for around $300 and still be a good buy.

They go for $250-300 in the Seattle area. I used to own one, traded it for a S&W M24 a few years ago and I still regret that decision - I should have kept the Ruger AND bought the Smith! The Security Six/Speed Six line are very strong durable revolvers. Mine was a 2 3/4" Speed Six and was a very nice carry gun, heavier than many small carry revolvers these days but that just helped with the 357 mag recoil. I'm planning on buying another one, one of these days.

John
http://www.handloads.com

Ruger Security Six

I have a 2 3/4" Security Six , love it , I'll never get rid of it. When fishing or hunting the big woods I carry it for protection against all sorts of critters ( crawlin', walkin' or talkin') and I've never felt undergunned. Get it you'll not regret it.

Security Six used value

I have bought 2 used Security Sixes in the last couple of years, one stainless steel 2 3/4" & one blued 4". I paid $250 for each in near mint condition. Depending on the condition I think $225 to $275 is a fair price for security Sixes.............Mike

I have the same opinion of the Security Six that most other shooters do. It's an outstanding gun. Light but strong. Easy to shoot with deadly accuracy. I like them so much I thought about collecting them. L

I've had a Security Six for a couple decades. I would rate it as right after the S&W K or N series.

Had one a coupla decades ago for my first CCW handgun. After taking it apart and polishing the heckouta the internals, it was smooth and absolutely reliable. Sold it when I started with the State and our duty sidearm was a Model 10, didn't want to have to change my "Chops".

It's a durable, effective and accurate handgun that will last longer than we will....

Had one

in SS.

Nice gun.
Couldn't shoot for beans, but then who wants to be anywhere on the receiving end of a .357?

Back