Ruger Scout

Proffer

Inactive
So, I've pretty much decided that my Christmas present to myself this year should be a Ruger Gunsite Scout. Don't have a "scout" rifle in my collection, and I like the way the thing looks.

My problem is that I can't really make up my mind between picking one up in .308, or snagging one of the 450 Bushmaster versions.

I already have a couple of 308's in the cabinet, so it would be convenient and a bit cheaper ammo-wise. But the 450 seems "more interesting." Luckily, I'm not in a state that requires it for hunting. I just like playing around with oddities. I do worry about the relative lack of ammo choices....but I can reload if need be.

Any thoughts or experiences with the Gunsite Scout?

Oh, and please don't suggest I buy both. I'd love to, but the wife would probably beat me to death with one of them...

The Gunsites are extremely well thought of. With the new synthetic stock, they make weight and are essentially a perfect scout rifle.

The 308 will kill anything the 450 will kill, and do it from a lot farther away with more accuracy, less recoil and cost. Unless live in an area where cartridges are limited there is no reason to choose the 450.

If you wanna be different buy one in 6.5 Creed. But in that rifle I'd buy 308.

OK, I see it has a great big magazine hanging down below the stock. :eek: No need for stripper-clips and no need for me to have one. But to each, their own.

The 450 is stout to 200 yards. My Bushmaster recoils like a 20guage shotgun. You might consider a .308 Remington VTR and get a Magpul Hunter stock. It shoots 1/2" and has 10round mags.

concept

If one wants to stay close to the original "scout" concepts as proposed by the original proponent of the concept, , choose the .308 and look for a 5 rd box to replace that big 10 rd thing. The muzzle brake only adds length and weight as well. All those additions work against the original intent, which was to have a short, light , portable, general purpose rifle.

The 450 is stout to 200 yards. My Bushmaster recoils like a 20guage shotgun. You might consider a .308 Remington VTR and get a Magpul Hunter stock. It shoots 1/2" and has 10round mags.
Hmmmm...that's not a bad idea. Although I already have a Savage 12 in 308 that's accurate beyond my feeble abilities. Weighs a ton, though. Are there Remington VTR's out there in shorter barrel lengths?

To be clear, my 450 is an AR. VTRs come with 22" barrels, although that includes a 1.5" brake. What I like about the VTR is it comes in a 10" twist and comes with a Harris bipod. I'm on my second as I gave my first one to my youngest. It also shoots 1/2".

Looked a good bit at the Ruger Scout before downselecting to the Savage instead. Imho, if you're going to buy a scout, get it in 308. Semantics of the design/intent aside, it's tough to beat 308 in North America, especially in the US. If you're looking for an oddity, perhaps 450BM makes sense for you. But my vote is 308.

The Gunsites are extremely well thought of. With the new synthetic stock, they make weight and are essentially a perfect scout rifle.
Any thoughts or experiences with the Gunsite Scout?

Well, offered only FYI, here's an older review of a GunSite 'Scout Rifle' training class in which the reviewer comments on the dismal performance of several Ruger GSRs under the stress of the course. Hopefully, someone at Ruger may have read this and improved the current generation of GSRs.

Of course, if you're only purpose for the GSR is as a lazy Sunday afternoon range 'plinker' (shooting 20-rds or less), then performance in the normal sense really doesn't matter, does it? :rolleyes:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/training/Gunsite___Scout_Rifle_Class/19-233966/

Last edited:
Of course, if you're only purpose for the GSR is as a lazy Sunday afternoon range 'plinker' (shooting 20-rds or less), then performance in the normal sense really doesn't matter, does it? :rolleyes:

"Lazy Sunday afternoon range plinker" is just about the story of my life...

Back