Ruger SAs in California

There are no Ruger Single Action Revolvers on California's "safe" list. Only the RHs, SRHs, SPs and GPs have passed last time I checked. I find this very disturbing as I always have wanted to own a Single Action revolver.

I believe single actions are exempt from the new law. Perhaps another member could provide a link or something?

If it has at least five shots, and a minimum size range (3" barrel and needs to be a certain overall size bigger than any NAA minirevolver, fr'instance) it's kosher.

It's possible that one of the limited-edition "Sheriff's model" Rugers with a bird's-head grip might not make the minimum. But all standard 4" or longer barrel Single Sixes, Vaqueros, Blackhawks, even the little .22LR Bearcat all meet the minimum size and are totally unrestricted.

The SA requirements were set to bar SA Derringers and both FA and NAA minirevolvers. Anything bigger should be OK.

I wonder if a good gunsmith could easily convert, say, a K-Frame S&W to SA in a way that could fairly easily be "restored"? If so, he could sell the "SA" gun (S&W model 10, or whatever) with no restrictions :D.

Jim

Jim March is dead on correct as usual. I've purchased 2 Ruger SAs this year, although I did have to deal with a confused clerk who insisted I couldn't buy anything not on the DOJ list. A manager straightened him out.

Seems the one constant in all this California gun control madness is the laws are arbitrary, confusing and causing many headaches. Just like the gov't intended.

Converting a standard S&W revolver to single action only is easy, as you need only remove the hammer strut (what S&W calls the "sear"), its pin and spring. The process is easily reversible. In fact, S&W used to sell the K-38 in a single action configuration for some target shooting where rules banned double action revolvers.

Whether this would make, say, a Model 10 a single action under the law depends on the wording of the law, which I do not feel competent to discuss.

Jim

Back