Ruger SA: How to Remove Jammed Gate Detent Spring

Jackal11

Inactive
I wasn't looking while torquing down the Brownells Ruger Single Action Gate Detent Spring Clamp and accidently deformed and jammed the spring. See attached picture.

In this situation, what is the gunsmith-approved spring removal method?

• Does not look like a punch can depress the spring-end, the spring is deformed jamming the spring-end between the frame and the trigger pin.
  • Could cut the spring, but what to use? I don't think a dremel is the best tool, on the other hand a precision very strong metal snipper might work if it fits into the frame.
  • Yanking out the spring with needle nose pliers looks like it would cause the non-jammed spring-end in the cylinder window to mar the external finish.

Attachments

• Ruger Spring.jpg
    Ruger Spring.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Have you tried removing the grip frame and pushing the trigger and cylinder stop pins out? That's what holds the spring in. I see this at least once a year.

The pin has a notch in it that the spring fits into. You have to push the spring down while pushing the pin. See if you can fit a punch onto the spring to push it down while pushing on the pin. And if this sounds like you need a 3rd hand, that would help.

Back