Ruger rumor Mini-44?? please help

Judge Blackhawk

Okay, citizens, I have heard that Ruger is working on a Mini-44 based on the mini-14 for the 44 magnum cartridge. Is this true or is it just a rumor with no basis in fact.

I personally would love to have on in SS and would pay retail for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Judge Blackhawk

its not in the 2000 catalog but they do make a 44 mag lever gun thats reliable.the old ones that were on the market were plagued with problems.

This would probably be a good question for George down in the Smitty section. I would think the rifle would have to redesigned extensively.
However if they did build one I'd race the Judge to my local gun emporium to be the first kid on the TFL block to own one. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

There is a Ruger semi-auto .44 carbine. It's the Model 300, with a tubular mag. My old huntin' pardner used it for brushy hogs...

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington

Ruger made a semi-auto rifle in .44 mag many years ago. They dropped production in the 1980s because it was too expensive to manufacture. If they are preparing to build another one, I am sure that it would have to meet stringent cost-control standards as well as be utterly safe and reliable. With updated CNC production, this goal is probably possible. However, considering how many people complain about the recoil of the Ruger Police Carbines, I wonder if a new rifle in .44 mag would find a niche in the firearms market. The PC models are direct blowback in design. Would that design work for the hotter .44? It seems that Ruger would need to go with a gas-operated system, which leads to higher costs, increased maintenance, and diminishing returns in performace since the .44 is still a pistol round--not a .223. Would any engineers out there care to comment?

------------------
Thomas Hobbes: "The reason I help the man is that by doing so I end my discomfort at seeing his discomfort."

Back