Ruger rings questions

Nathan

I have a Hawkeye with Ruger rings. It also has open sights....after lapping, can I just loosen the cross bolts, remove and later put it back on just by tightening the cross bolts? Will it return to 0? Will it bind somehow and kink the tube? Thoughts?

If your planning on removing them, then there is no point in lapping them.
Don't forget that Ruger uses 2 different height rings. Tall one goes to the rear.

My question comes from my experience with Ruger receiver rings. They have to be installed individually or they don’t mate right with the receiver.

Then I check them and they are crooked to each other by just a bit, using the pointed cylinders. Then I lap until the points are aligned. After all that, I still get some ring marks on my scope....urrgh!

So, I have to believe there is still some binding or I’m not lapping enough...

I dunno, if you "lap" the rings until they're in alignment, there shouldn't be scope marring unless you left a burr somewhere.
FWIW
I don't remove a mounted scope unless there's a reason and I don't really expect "return to zero" if/when I do.

With any ring that fits into a cross slot the key is to push the ring as far forward as possible as you tighten it down. The lower half of each ring should be done individually and 1st. During recoil the rifle moves back, the rings and scope try to move forward toward the muzzle. If you mounted them as far forward initially there is no where for them to move during recoil. Then place the scope in the rings and tighten the top 1/2.

Taking them off with the scope mounted, then returning them works just fine as long as you push them forward as far as possible when you return them. I've had 2 scopes zeroed for the same rifle several times in the past with both Ruger rings and others and had them return to zero every time.

I've never lapped any rings. But the Ruger rings can be a little sharp on the edges when new. It wouldn't hurt to soften the corner just a bit to reduce the possibility of scratching the scope.

Ruger rings are a bit different vs "Weaver" type rings. The curved interface basically removes the need to force the cross bolt against the front edge of the base cut.

Back