Ruger Revolvers Do they go out of time??

Master Blaster

I have seen many folks post that thier Slick & Willie, or Colt, or Taurus revolver goes out of time using heavy loads. I have never seen a post that indicates anyone has ever had a Ruger go out of time. I looked at my sp101 and the design of the ratchet and hand is different than on other revolvers, it appears to have needed no fitting.
Is the ruger design superior or do folks have Ruger revolvers go out of time???

I don't have one yet, but recently read an article where the author posed this question to several gunsmiths, but found none who had seen one out of time. I think it was a recent edition of Shooting Times

Couple of thoughts.

S&W timing seem to be affected far more by the rate of fire than the stoutness of the load.

Wonder if the smoothness of the Smith trigger is conducive to "fast n fancy" shootin.

Heavy loads will give you end shake.

Rapid trigger work will derrogate the timing.

Guns with stainless lockwork seem more prone to timing problems with rapid fire than medium carbon steel ones.

More massive cylinders seem more prone to timing problems with rapid fire.

Sam....tween knaps

Ruger design is superior.

No trouble, GP100's, Redhawks, all stainless, all fired DA in IPSC competition...

..I'll let you know if timing ever goes (by the way, these guns are regularly subjected to screw-SAAMI loads. I did bend the 44 Redhawk once.)

All revolvers can go out of time with wear, and this is usually the only thing that will put a S&W out of time. The old design Colts will often fail to lock up fully if cocked slowly, but will lock in when the trigger is pulled. Rugers can wear, but they have no "rep" for going out of time. Single action revolvers (except Rugers) often come from the factory out of time and wear makes things worse. Other older revolvers, H&R, IJ, and the like are rather notorious for going out of time, and this is sometimes not repairable because of poorly designed or soft parts. Cheap junk like RG's, MG's etc. are not worth discussing.

Jim

What do you guys mean by "out of Time"?
When the chamber does not line up with the forcing cone.

Is that what that old Hall and Oates song was about? ;)

Back