ruger redhawk, krh445, any good?

bullfrog99

I was thinking of picking up one of these for hunting and woods defense and i was wondering what you guys think of them. I've searched the forum and they seem to be popular but opinions change like the weather. Are they still in favor with the backpackers and ranchers of the world? What loadings shoot best(factory loadings, as I dont' have any 44 mag dies yet.) what sight/grip options are best. Should i get blued instead of stainless for any reason? etc. any advice would be appriciated, thanks in advance

REAL GOOD

Got the 5.5" stainless, wearing Pachmayr Decelerators (fit MY hand perfectly), Millett orange-ramp front sight blade.

Like it enough to get its twins but in both 41 Mag and 45 Colt.

All kinds of ammo; just state your intended target(s).

Too heavy IMHO

Look at the SBH instead. Nothing wrong with the Redhawk, but the Blackhawk is lighter and easier to pack for long distances. I've carried them for 15 mile walks and the lighter weight is a real blessing.

Consider the .45 Colt instead.

I've had my 7-1/2" Redhawk since they first came out. It's heavy enough that even wonder-thumper 300-grain loads aren't bad recoil. They're well-made, brutally strong, and quite accurate.

A good trigger job is truly helpful, compared to as-new, but IMO that's true of 90% of all guns made. At any rate, with the double-action smoothed up and light loads of 250-grain bullets at around 1,200 ft/sec, tight groups at rapid fire is very easy.

I didn't know the Redhawk is available blued?

I never pay attention to "popular" or "in favor". If they suit one's purpose, who cares for others' opinions?

For a handgun, yeah, they're definitely heavy. However, they're not nearly as heavy as any rifle if you're out hunting.

The Super Blackhawk is good, if you like single-action. So is the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Same comments about triggers...

FWIW, Art

The Redhawk has a reputation involving a slightly weird trigger that's not easy to tune. It uses one spring for both the trigger return and something else, I forget which...point is, lightening the trigger return spring is a basic gunsmith trigger job trick and you have to be a lot more carefull about that part with the Redhawk.

In the 48state area, if the threats are black bear and cougar and maybe a boar now and then, you can get the job done with a 6" GP100 and heavy-loaded .357. Something to think about, anyhow.

There's been lots of talk about how the .45LC has advantages over the .44Mag. The .45LC has more case volume and can therefore work at less pressure for the same ballistic job. Go look at the product line for Buffalo Bore ammo at www.buffalobore.com to get some examples...the .45LC+P 325grain at 1,300fps is unmatched among more or less any available .44Mag, with the exception of Garrett's "Redhawk/SuperRedhawk ONLY .44Mag+P" monsters.

I personally think the ultimate DA woods gun would be the Ruger SRH in .454, barrel chopped to 5", Tritium front sight using the Ashley pre-dovetailed mount they sell, rear sight same as what works on the GP100, Express with a vertical bar. Shoot it mostly in .45LC/.45LC+P, and pack some genuine .454 "just in case" I really needed it (not likely, but what the hell).

But I'd pack a Vaquero Bisley in .45LC first...much lighter, handles recoil well even one-handed, fast as hell on the first shot, decent follow-up if you're willing to master the SA.

In re-reading that, I realized I came across more critical of the Redhawk than I intended. Basic accuracy is fine, toughness is incredible, decent grips are available, and like others I'd recommend .45LC :).

I'd check the trigger on a given specimen first...if it's OK, cool, but if you ever need trigger work expect to have to find an expert. Ruger would have retired it except they don't have a modern intermediate between the GP100 and SRH.

I traded my Beretta 96 recently for a 5.5" stainless Redhawk. I got it for backpacking, hiking, 4wheeling, etc., and I'm very pleased with it.

I would prefer the redhawk over the blackhawk just because of DA capability. If you handload, the 45lc is the better option(IMHO). If you don't 44 ammo is usually more easily had off the shelf. At least around where I live.
Enjoy your new pistol!!:D

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE

Between 44 and 45 Colt redhawks is.................

...the cost of speedloaders.

And bullet weight. 45 Colt w/360- or 395g at 900-1050fps; now THAT's penetration.

But I use my 44 for IPSC/USPSA -- got plenty of (cheap) speedloaders.

----------------------------------------------------

"all my speedloaders are HKS speedloaders"

Yo Tim, why no velocity specs on yon site?

Second, have you considered trying to roll up a REALLY hot .32Magnum for those with J-Frame sixguns?

I'm thinking a 60grainer, something with a nice thick bonded jacket like the Gold Dot or something so when you get it moving up past 1,300fps it won't come unglued?

There's a REAL need for this critter. Cor-Bon had a project like this in the works, and cancelled it.

Please?

YO JIM

There are no velocities listed because: all my ammo is customized for each user; all guns are always different; the site offers only a limited view of what is possible.
Besides, some people are idiots, and may get hurt trying to get performance that exceeds safe levels.

Too many variables to "gray area" the 32. Plus I don't like the cartridge (too little to work with for my bifocal eyes LOL).

(You can always ask bout velocities of specific loads; I'm not shy.)

hey jim march, did you ever think of getting your j frame reamed out to take .30 carbine ammo with star clips? not sure if it would work, but it might.

Back