Ruger Redhawk for Bear Potection?

I'm in the process of deciding which handgun to use for Bear Protection while backpacking.

I've fired a freind's 7.5 inch barrelled Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum, and it was comfortable to shoot. (I don't know if it would be comfortable to carry all day!)

There appear to be some advantages with the .44 Magnum:

1) Good selection of factory ammo

2) Light, .44 Special loads can be used for targets and plinking

3) 5.5 inch barrel version is available
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The .45 Colt has some advantages that the handloader can exploit. It is also chambered in the 5.5 inch barrelled, Redhawk.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The .454 Casull has these advantages:

1) Powerful factory loads can be used

2) Light, cowboy .45 Colt loads can be used for targets and plinking

The disadvantage with the .454 Casull is that it is chambered only in the larger, heavier, 7.5 inch barreled, Super Redhawk.

What are your opinions on these choices?

Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

-Mk.IV

You do NOT need to be a handloader to exploit the .45LC anymore.

That used to be true, until Buffalo Bore came out with a 325grain hardcast doing 1,300fps as a standard factory load, labeled "RUGER ONLY".

The various Cor-Bon .45LC+Ps are also quite good, pretty much on par with the .44Mag. But that BufBore monster exceeds pretty much every .44Mag round made today, at lower pressure and with more controllable recoil.

See also the product list and specs at www.buffalobore.com

HOW BIG A BEAR?

I own both a 44 and 45 Colt 5.5" Redhawk, and feel comforted by either, BUT.....

.......the 45 Colt will deliver a larger-diameter heavier-weight bullet about as fast as the 44.

What would you pick?

Really handy size; that's why I love them!

Ruger RH .45 Colt

The Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt is plenty strong for even 454 Casull level loads.
The first one here gets a steady diet of cast 350@1500fps, more than several others were rechambered for the 454 Casull and run fine on factory Winchester ammo

I agree with the suggestion of the Randy Garrett loads. I have a friend whom says they are fantastic rounds for stopping power.

I think any one of em would be a good choice. The 454 ammo is way more expensive, harder to find, and doesnt really do anything more than the full house 44 mags. I mean, how dead is dead? I get my 44- 320's up to 1400 from a 7.5" RH. What more could you possibly need in north America? The cost doesnt justify the 454 round IMHO. But, hey, if you got the $$ to spend, go for it!

Buffalo Bore:

325 gr. L.B.T.- L.F.N. (1325 fps / M.E. 1267 ft. lbs.) at $57.99 / 50 Ctgs.

Wow! I didn't realize you could buy factory .45 Colt ammo at this power level.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that Garrett's .44 Magnum Ammo at $65 / 50 Ctgs. has slightly more power:

330-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST LONG-HAMMERHEAD AT 1385-FPS

At more than $1.00 per round, I couldn't afford to do much plinking with these loads!

Both calibers have readily available light loads for home defense or target shooting.

This will be a difficult decision.

-Mk.IV

Power levels between the two are about equal. The same bullet weight in .44mag however, will yield greater penetration due to a higher sectional density. Either one will make a big enough hole. Neither one is really that great for brown bear protection, but its better than nothing. Have you considered a law rocket?

Mark IV Series 80:

That Buffalo Bore load is an eye-opener, ain't it?

Now, for an "advanced course" in this stuff, go to John Linebaugh's site and start reading:

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh

The Buffalo Bore load is at the light end of the Linebaugh-style spectrum, but it's still based on Linebaugh's type of theories.

His main point is that not only can you get this power level out of the projectile, but you can get it with less chamber pressure spread out over a longer period - which translates to, not quite "less recoil", but "more controllable" recoil that isn't as "sharp" or painful.

I'd pick the .45LC and the Buffalo Bore load over the Garrett/.44Mag combo, for exactly that reason.

I'm not sure if you reload or not, but here is my breakdown of cost for loading the 320 gr .44 slugs into all new componants, which seem to be right in line powerwise as the buffalo bore and garrett cartridges, if not slightly superior. Cost has been rounded up to simplify things, and to cover cost of lube, etc. Gas to melt the wheelweights and labor are not figured in.

Brass-.44 Mag...20. per 100 (.20 each)
Primers-LP (No Mag)..20. per 1000 (.02 each)
Powder-2400......20. per LB (18.0 gr each=388 rnds per LB)
(.05 each)
Gaschecks-20. per 1000 (.02 each)
Bullets-Free, when cast from wheelweights.(Lyman mould
429650)

Brass 50 rnds $10.
Primers 50 rnds $ 1.
Powder 50 rnds $ 2.50
Gaschecks 50 rnds $ 1.
Total for 50 rnds $14.50

Remember, all figures were rounded up. But even at 14.50 a box you've got lots of room to pay for gas and labor and still be way lower than buying them from commercial sources.
OTOH, if you use once fired brass, bulk bought powder or primers you can even get them lower than that. IIRC, my last batch actually cost me around 7.50 a box of 50.

Performance of these rounds is phenomenal, Elmer Keith was really on top of it, and is worthy of many rereads of his articles. I'm getting around 2" groups at 25 yards with them when I do my part and recoil is not as bad as you might expect from such heavy loads. Of course, I'm useing Pachmayer fingergroove grips also.

Whatever you choose, you gotta be able to practice and plink with them without taking out a second mortgage and reloading is the way. In my case (poorman), I always consider these factors. If the SHTF, even finding componants to reload will be a challenge, which lets the 454 out of the equation in my mind. Either the 45LC or 44 Mag is the way to go I think. Happy Shooting!

I cast my own .44mag out of wheelweights. 285gr NEI SWC/GS. Assuming I will load the brass 10 times, usually more than that, I can load a 50rnd box for about $2.50. For the price of 15 50rn boxes, I have more than paid for my reloading equipment. I don't even bother reloading 9mm however, there's not enough savings to make it worth the time. If you really want to save money you need to shoot cast bullets, or better yet cast your own. Jacketed bullets are too expensive for pistol. I do load my 444 marlin with jacketed. I haven't got up the courage to try cast bullets in it. The thought of horrific leading in that micro groove barrel has put me off. I'll try it one day.

John Linebaugh makes a good case for the .45 Colt over the .44 Magnum.

A reason mentioned for going with the .45 Colt, is that you can achieve the same performance as the .44 Magnum with a shorter barrel and less pressure.

Does anyone know of any other published information regarding this comparison?

I don't have the time, equipment, or space for reloading so I'll have to go with factory loads.

On the Cor-Bon website:

45 COLT Magnum +P 300gr Jacketed Soft Point
1300fps / 1126ft/lbs

Price: $24.60 Each 20 Pak

and Cor-Bon has another "hot load", so there are at least a couple of manufacturers producing heavy .45 Colt ammo.

What is the most effective .45 Colt round made by a "mainstream" ammo manufacturer?

Thanks everyone, for the valuable information.

-Mk.IV

WESHOOT2,

Effective as a "bear-stopper".

By "mainstream" ammunition manufacturer I mean a manufacturer who is a member of SAAMI, ie: Federal, CCI-Speer, Winchester, Remington-UMC, Hornady, etc.

I have heard from TFL members of some quality control problems with Cor-Bon, and one TFL'er blew-up the magazine tube on his lever-action Marlin with Buffalo-Bore ammo:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15792&highlight=Buffalo+Bore

I don't doubt that the Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt can safely handle pressures that would destroy a Colt Single Action Army or a S&W .45 Colt revolver.

What is the "hottest" heavy load in .45 Colt that is produced by the major ammunition manufacturers?

Thanks,

Mk.IV

Could there be any finer large frame wheelgun than the .480 Ruger Super RedHawk.

Bet there will be a lot of nice ammunition choices - at least to those who handload.

The Dept. of Renewable Resources (DNR) around these parts carry Glock pistols, in .40S&W. Apparently the combination has been used with some success in the field.
- One instance involved a 200-300lb. Black Bear, charging a Wildlife Officer. Beggining 40 feet away, it got about 10 feet away before a Golden Sabre in the front right leg slowed him down, however a second, point blank shot to the head fairly well knocked his brains out.- The Wildlife Officer is pretty happy with his sidearm, of course.

Would a person really want the weight of a full sized revolver on their hip all day? Plus, the ammunition and speed loaders would probably weigh a few more pounds.
Just a thought...:)

Yes, a headshot with a .40S&W JHP can stop a Black bear. It has to be a "low" headshot, eye level, or through the cheekbones or snout to reach the low-slung brain and not stop on the massive armored forehead that really anchors the jaw muscles.

The reason I'd rather have a heavy .44Mag or .45LC+P for a Black is that if I miss that headshot, I've got a good chance of smashing hell out of either shoulder, "biceps" or whatever the equivelent on a bear is, or perhaps the spine.

I wouldn't trust a .40S&W to do that!

Also, I might not get a straight-on shot at all, I might have to shoot him broadside if he's chewing on somebody else, and I'd rather not try a headshot if he's actually got teeth on somebody. In that scenario, I *must* smash up spine, shoulders or punch deep to the heart to get his attention focused elsewhere fast, and again .40S&W would not at all be my top choice.

With a Garrett-class .44Mag or some of the better Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore .45LC+P, I can smash his front shoulder, smash his pelvis, then start pounding on his life support.

I'd even have a *chance* at doing this on a Griz, although that's getting iffy. I'd still try it if somebody else was getting mauled. With .40S&W, I'd be forced to try and close for that super-tricky headshot below the forehead.

Back