Ruger redhawk - does this look right?

1stmar

Finally picked up a ruger redhawk in 45colt/acp. Had hear about a number of issues including poor ignition, poor accuracy and poor overall quality. But I really liked this revolver and the versatility.

When chambering the 45 colt I was unable to get a cartridge into one of the cylinders. A closer examination showed the ejector was partially blocking the cylinder. When I looked even further I noticed the cylinder was oddly cut to support the ejector. It is symetically so not sure if it is by design but looks like a poorly cut cylinder and I know the ejectors is poorly cut.

Posting pics for feed back. You can see a black mark where I marked the bad chamber. Just to the left the cut in the cylinder for the ejector is not square where as the chamber to the right the cut is perfectly square. There are two chambers that look like the left one and they are opposing. The other 4 chambers have cuts like the one on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 205
Here is a close up of the ejector, you can see the ejector is cut to match the cylinder. The spine on the left is significantly shaped differently then the right. I'm not much of a revolver guy, so have minimum experience with various revolvers.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 148
Could you post a pic of the ejector lowered and flush with the cylinder?

I assume the chamber your speaking of is the one with the mark on it from the magic marker?

Are you saying that one chamber is cut oblong and so the round won't fit in it?

tipoc

Closed ejector. There are two issues I believe. 1 is clearly the ejector is not cut right and partially covers the chamber. You won't be able to tell from these pics but I'm less concerned about that as I know what to tell ruger. It is the chamber w the magic marker on it.

If you look at this pic, look closely at the ejector ends and there they touch the rim of the cylinder (10 and 11 o'clock). Some are cut on an angle and others are cut square (1:00 o'clock)

Attachments

• IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 134
If you had calipers you could measure it or a set of gauges. You could measure it with a shell case. It does look oblong.

If a round won't enter the chamber smoothly and easily than there's noting to check though, it's just off and needs to be fixed.

Take it back to where you got it and have them check it. It should be returned to Ruger for a replacement cylinder.

As far as the angles on the star extractor--how they are cut will match the mating cuts on the cylinder. If concerned about that head to the gunatorium and look at another Ruger of the same age. IIRC what you show is the norm, meaning not unusual.

tipoc

Last edited:
I seem to recall the odd machining of the ejector on the example I looked at about a year ago. It requires a thin ejector and some odd machining to make the cylinder and ejector work with both rounds, one using full moon clips. And I believe it also had the seemingly incorrect fitting of the ejector in the cylinder cuts in two adjacent places like yours pictured.

The chamber that won't accept cartridges obviously has an issue with the chamber and/or ejector.

If there is another example somewhere nearby, you could compare your cylinder/ejector with it.

The Redhawk 45C/45Auto pictured at gunblast appears to have the same type cylinder and ejector machining.

In the photo I have of one of the two samples I worked with, the star's cut exactly the same way.

The failure to chamber issue is separate & Ruger should be sending you a return label.
Denis

Obviously you do have an issue that Ruger needs to address but as has been said, I don't believe that it pertains to the angles of the ejector cuts.
My new Redhawk in .357 that is cut to accept moon clips is very similar in the angle of the cuts.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20171021_185450969.jpg
    IMG_20171021_185450969.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 519
2 5 shot acp groups different loads. The first is 4.1gr clays 200 swc and then 5 more shots just below that group, 3.7gr clays 200 swc. Overall pretty pleased. Was pretty concerned about the acp accuracy based on readings. All shots 25yds.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 41
One (poor quality) pic of my new favorite revolver. Grips are beautiful. I love the deep rich color. Trigger is smoothing up (both dble and single). No malfunctions in about 50 rds of acp and 50 rds 45 colt. Accuracy of the colt rds weren't that good but I only had 1 load (8gr unique 230gr fp).

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 56
Did you fix the ejector issue ? Do the 45 ACP moon clips work ok ? When I read this thread yesterday I thought to myself, why not just take a rat tail file or a Dremel with a round stone and do a bit of Bubbaing.

Beautiful handgun by the way

Moon clips work well. Another 100 rds today with no issues other than some sticky extraction. Still working on load development.

Back