Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum or S&W 629 5" barrel V-comp

Bill357

I am looking for suggestions on which 44 magnum to buy. I am not sure on the quality of current
S&W's from what I have read. I like the Ruger
because I can shoot full power loads and I like the S&W for it's trigger and smooth action.
The gun will be be used for Hiking, Camping
in bear territory. What do you think?

The Ruger is, as you posted, A LOT stronger.

My advice, which I have posted before:
Buy the Ruger, then send it to Jack Weigand for an action job. Belive me you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

This is not intended to upset anyone.

You mentioned "BEAR territorry". To me that means warm/hot 300/320gr. handloads. IF this is your intention, the ruger wins hands down. I think you should shoot what you carry.
While the smith is a little smoother out-of-box, with an action job the ruger is just as good, probably better. And I don't think anyone here will argue the strength issue. If you only intend to shoot mild loads than either will do

As for the "dumptruck", I'd say more like a purty 1 ton pickup.

:D

If you are going to shoot really hot.....

loads e.g. something that might stop a bear, then it would be the Ruger hands down. Not that the *&*is some kind of sissy. But Rugers are just extremely strong.

I have never liked ruger handguns. The smith is a very tough gun also but not as strong as the ruger. I have 3 Smith 44's. They are great. It is personal taste.

What's the difference between a bear load for a Smith and that for a Ruger. Both guns are built to handle 42000 CUP. Keep on hearing is stronger & hotter BS. What gives? Throw some loads as an example so that we can explore a bit about what's "hot" or what's just an exercise in Darwinism
boom.gif

Robert

Every legal opinion commenting on the agreement made by the previous owners of Smith & Wesson and the previous administration, have said that the document is worthless.

Come up to speed!

Robert

This gentleman is HIKING and CAMPING in bear country. Who cares if it's a tack-driver or has a smooth trigger? If it's for self-defense you really don't need neither.
For purely "self-defense" a Taurus M44 will do just fine in the lower 48. You want to spend a little more than $379? Then get the Ruger Redhawk at about $430.
Don't waste you're money. If you want something for "self-defense" a Taurus or Ruger will do just fine. Best Regards, J. Parker

I have a 629 V-comp. It's a lovely gun. But it's also a heavy bugger for carrying around in the wood. I'd suggest you go with something lighter, like a 629 Mountain Gun.

Also, what kind of bear are you talking about? Black or brown? There's a big difference (500 or 1000 lbs worth of difference).

Personally I'd prefer a double action gun for bear defense.

M1911

TALE OF THE TAPE

The Ruger cylinder is longer (and stronger); real heavies just don't fit in the (backward-rotating cylinder) S&W.

Fact.

(I'm ready............)

WeShoot hit what I missed:
Most of the 300, and 95% of the 320gr. loads are too long for the smith cylinder. (If seated for correct working pressure and not COL then ALL of the heavier loads are too long).

Also if you shoot what you carry, which SHOULD be the heavy loads(IMHO), the ruger will take them all day without a sweat, the smith just isn't strong enough to do it ALL the time.

Robert, to answer your first question the difference is both will handle heavy loads. But over time the Ruger will still be tight and the Smith & Wesson will be a rattletrap.

To respond to your comment about the agreement being worthless; That may be true. However, whether it is or is not why does Saf T Hammer simply not rescend this so called worthless agreement and regain their customer base?
The same thing applies to the arguments that they are not enforcing it. If they do not enforce it and have no plans to why not simply rescend it?
The new owners have done nothing to bring their loyal customers back to Smith & Wesson.

another important point most fail to mention when arguing smith vs ruger is the fact that when dealing with guns meant for hunting, or trail, inclement weather comes into play. should that revolver get soaked, dropped in a creek, sand, mud, etc. the redhawk comes apart for field stripping & back together again in minutes. try doing that with 1 of your elegant smiths

Please note:

No additional posts referring to the *&* Agreement are allowed in this thread. All discussions of that nature go in the Legal & Political forum.

Back