Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag 5.5" DA

ump45

What do you guys think about the DA Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag 5.5"

Is that a good gun?

Also, I noticed there are two different versions, one has a blued finish and the other stainless steel. The stainless steel is $55 more. What is the difference between these two guns?

As a side question, what is the difference between:

1) .44 Mag

2) .454 Casull

3) .480 Ruger

4) .45 Long Colt (they say the .454 Casull accepts .45 Long Colt cartridges)

You're on the right track

with the .44MAG Redhawk. Get the Stainless 5 1/2 inch as it is much easier to handle and clean. You can also shoot .44SPLs which give much less recoil. The .454 is for advanced handgunners ONLY.
The recoil makes you wish that it was a 3 shooter ! It was developed for LARGE nasty critters anywhere in the world. The .480 is another high pressure load which is a TAD less powerful that the .454.
Hope this helps....dewey

I have a 5.5" Redhawk in .44 Magnum and like it a lot. The trigger has had a bit of work done on it, otherwise it's stock. Good balance, good accuracy with loads it prefers.

The .454 Super Redhawk is heavier, bulkier ( 7.5" barrel) , more powerful, and in my very limited experience of one each, more accurate.

Dewey pretty much answered all of your questions..............

but I'll just throw in my $.02 worth for the heck of it. I have both a SRH with a 7.5" barrell and a RH with the 5.5" barrel. Both are in 44 mag and, in my experience, both have been quite accurate with comparable ammo. As a matter of pure personal preference I really do prefer the RH for field carry. The 5.5" barrel just carries better for me and is more comfortable. In my part of the country, Oregon, it is darn near impossible to find anything other than stainless steel. Blued just does not seem to sell well here. Both are terrific! Get the one that suits you. Good shooting.

Luv my RRH 5.5" ...

only in .45 Colt. Don't know what you'll be shooting at, but short of Griz, the .45 Colt with proper loads will handle anything in the woods and those Super Guns you listed aren't needed. Now if you're in Griz country, get yourself the biggest gun you can hump -- preferrably a .454 Casull, .475 or .500 Linebaugh -- none available in the Redhawk unless you get Ham Bowen, etc., to build you one. The .480 Ruger is pretty much a .475 Linebaugh Light.

IMHO, the SS 5.5" RRH is one heck-of-a platform for strength, packability and affordability in a DA sidearm.

Ruger Redhawk 5.5

I had a S&W Model 29 and about 1,200 rounds of reloads with 21.0 grains of 2400. Hot/Max. load. The Smith would not take it so, I bought a 5.5inch Stainless Redhawk.

The Redhawk loved the "HOT" load. The barrel did not turn, as did the S&W. A Very Good handgun!!!

Good Lord, Madison! No, I wouldn't think a model 29 would want to shoot 1200 rounds of that.

I'm not surprised to hear that the Redhawk gobbled them up just fine.

Dang it, now I want a Redhawk again!

USE MINE FOR IPSC

Have three 5.5" stainless Redhawks, one each in 41, 44, and 45 Colt (my 357 version has the 7.5" tube).

All wear Pachmayr Decelerators, and the 5.5" models have the superb Millett orange-ramp front sight blade.
Accurate, reliable, comfortable (mine ride in a Sparks HSR).

Buy.

Back