RUGER RED LABEL

cjb

I have been researching O/U shotguns all winter.Sporting clay season starts next month at my local club,and I still don't have a suitable O/u. I was thinking about a Winchester Supreme until I foud out that they are not even in production yet.( even though the ads have been out for a while now.) I'm looking for something in the $1000 range. I have now turned my attention to the Ruger.Any comments or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks guy's!
CALVIN
" I'M THE NRA! "

I know a couple guys that have Red Labels, both love them. I'd like to be the third guy I know with one. They are IMHO absolutely the most beautiful scattergun I've ever seen, with maybe exceptions of some of those multi-thousand dollar sxs that I'll never be able to afford. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them. I may have to sell a couple cows first, but I'll own one someday. Anybody wanna trade? I've got good angus stock. ;)

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

The Red Label Sporting Clays Model is the best of the Rugers IMHO. It is not as sophisticated a target gun as the Beretta/Browning and higher $ guns, but it will get the job done. Some people have had extractor problems but Ruger seems to have fixed this. The gun is tough and will serve double purpose as a dove/waterfowl gun -- something the pure target guns can't do as well. Have the stock modified to fit you, get the triggers lightened and have fun!

Ruger makes a good sporting clays shotgun. These shotguns are made well and function very well. Some have cast doubts on the number of shells a Red Label will shoot before going to that Great Gunsmith in the sky. REgards, Mikey

I shoot a 30'ruger redlabel for ATA and skeet
I shoot about500 round of winchester AA super handicaps every weekend. I have never once had any problems. I belive i s a great gun for the price. I also own a Bt-100 witch i can out perform. In the up comeing months
Ruger is comeing out with a very nice Singel shot trap model with i am going to get. You might want to look into that if you also shoot trap. You wont go wrong with your red label.

The Ruger has had mixed reviews from sporting clays shooters. I know several shooters who shoot the guns and do well with them. The main complaint seems to be recoil. If recoil is not a problem they are fine guns and will give years of service.

Ruger has continually improved the guns, and the newest sporting models sport Briley chokes and barrels that seem lighter and swing better. I owned a 20 ga sporting gun and I shot it well, sold it to a buddy when I bought my K80. I really miss that gun!

I feel that Rugers are as durable as the Brownings and Berettas, but have a stiff trigger and some have loose ribs that rattle.
Ruger doesn't solder the ribs at every post, only at the front and rear and the ribs dovetail into the supports, because of this some guns have ribs that rattle, in my estimation 1 out of every 3 guns. This is only cosmetic and does not affect function. Older Rugers seem loose because they cock the triggers when you close the gun, not when the gun is opened like most O/U's. I believe this has been changed on the newer guns. Because of this a lot of experienced double gun shooters felt the ruger was loose and felt junky. This is not the case, the Ruger action is as tight and sturdy as any double made.

The Ruger is a great gun to start Shooting Sporting Clays with.

My $.02 as usual

Geoff Ross

Back