Ruger RAR Scope Mount

PaulF70

I have a RAR in .17HMR. It came with a picatinny-style mount so I bought those kind of scope rings.

I am wondering, under the rail is that just a 9.5mm dovetail? Could I take off the rail and mount directly to that?

In the Olden Days that's all we had. And it worked. Especially on a light-recoiling rimfire rifle, why do you want to complicate things and raise the scope by adding a picatinny rail?

(Scope height matters for trajectory, of course, and would make a difference with this ultra-flat-shooting load.)

I have a ruger American rimfire in 22lr. No dove tail under there. If you take it off, all you will find is a drilled and tapped receiver.

I don't know that model personally but I would expect they did what they did with the 10/22. The receiver (which is aluminum) is not grooved, its drilled and tapped and the ".22 scope" rail is screwed to the receiver. IF you do take the mount off and put it back on, be careful not to overtighten the mounting screws, you can strip the receiver threads.

Back