Ruger quality & customer service.

Sisco

Excuse me while I rant but...
Amost four weeks ago I bought a new Ruger SP101, wanted one for some time now, own several Rugers and am pleased with every one of them.
Took the new SP home and cleaned it up itching to get to the range. The trigger felt really gritty, the grip pin was so tight it would've taken a hammer to get it out. Soon discovered the cylinder wouldn't always close, the extractor rod would stick.
Took it back to the dealer, he sent it back to Ruger, wait a week.
Next weekend a brand new SP is waiting for me, I'm pleased.
Took this one to the range, difficult extraction of empty cases, one shot in five went really low. Close inspection when I got home revealed some small 'voids' at the front of the cylinder, one chamber was out-of-round. Dropped a bullet down this chamber, had to push hard with a dowel to get the bullet through. Back to the dealer.
Checked with the dealer after a week, hasn't heard anything yet.
Checked with him yesterday, he called Ruger. Ruger says that they're at the end of their production cycle of SP's and don't have any more. Not sure if they have parts or not, they'll check in to it, call back next week.
I'm about ready to ask for a refund and buy a Taurus. But then what would I do with these Wolff springs and Hogue grip still waiting in the packages.
:mad:
Rant complete. Maybe.

That is really sad to hear. I own 24 Ruger firearms including an SP101 and never had a lick of problems with any of them. I can name two right off the bat that I would like to buy, A stainless Old Army and whatever you call their top of the line .22 auto. Then there is the Single Six in .32 H&R mag that I would buy if it had adjustable sights.

Never A Problem .....

I must be lucky .....

I have never had a problem with ANY Ruger firearm, including my newly acquired SP101 that I just picked up 2 weeks ago. As a matter of fact, I was actually quite pleased with the SA and DA trigger pulls, and the overall accuracy of this little revolver.

Great firearms from a great company (in MY experience) ..........

I was surprised the first time I got a bum Ruger. And the second. I've posted this story before, but what the heck.

I bought a 22/45 shortly after they were introduced and it was a jammer. Since it wouldn't feed reliably I took it back to the store and, after much discussion, talked them into to giving me another one.

It was worse. After shooting it a lot the first time out, I found that the fit of the bolt was a little off, every fifth or sixth shot the round coming out of the mag would split its' nose on the bottom of the feedramp, and the trigger was only so-so.

Called Ruger("It doesn't work and it's not as nice the Single Six I bought in '72 or even the Service Six I got in '85.") and sent it in. When I got it back I discovered that they'd replaced the bolt, polished the inside of the receiver, polished the feedramp, and done a perfect 40-oz. trigger job. Free. Never had another problem with it :)

Good luck with yours.

John

Here's my Ruger story. Bought a brand new SRH 454. I took it and my handloads ( Starline 454 brass, 240 gr Hornady XTP-Mag, 14 Grains of Unique, CCI standard small rifle primer) to the range for a workout. First four shots were great. I went to cock the hammer for the fifth shot and the cylinder froze. I opened the action and rotated the cylinder into the position it would have been in if it hadn't frozen. I went to cock it again and the same damn thing happened! I picked up my gear and went home more than a little ticked off. I got home and commenced to trying to figure out the problem. Holding the revolver sideways in front of a lamp, I began cocking and decocking the revolver - yes, I unloaded it first! - I noticed the barrel cylinder gap disappeared on two of the chambers and the cylinder was actually hitting the barrel. Here is why I am really mad. I know s... happens. I know that nothing can be manufactured perfectly. But....Ruger only test fired that gun with one shot of 45 Colt. If they had fired a whole cylinder - like they should have done in the first place - the problem would have been discovered before the gun left the factory. They should have also used 454 ammo to test it, not 45 Colt. Some problems may not be apparent if the only test is done with 45 Colt. A gun designed for shooting a high performance cartridge like 454 Casull SHOULD BE TESTED with that ammo. Ruger will say they cannot afford to test fire full cylinders, especially with 454 ammo. Well, it seems to me that its going to cost Ruger more money in the long run to fix all these problems that people are having with their guns than it would if they just implemented a little quality control. Sometimes I think the whole world has just stopped trying!

I'm going to call them tomorrow. Before this the only time I delt with customer service they were friendly and took care of the problem quickly - sent me a new taller rear sight for my P95.
I haven't yet given up on Ruger, still think they are the best gun for the money there is.
Agree with mobias, if they would have test fired a whole cylinder they would have found the problem with the second gun themselves.
Couldn't help but notice the fired cases they sent with both guns were Starline, do they load their own test rounds?
carlosg: I saw those threads on Rugerforum the other day. Wow, something else to worry about?

I have two GP's. THe first turned out fine. The second wsa unable to finished one box of ammo before it tied up. I feel the problem was the cylinder gap.

It took 5 weeks to get it back. For a month Ruger had no record of recieving the gun. I found out this is common. It actually can be getting worked on before they put it into the computer.

they fixed the problem and did leave my Wolff spring in the gun. this one is more accurate than my other. i get one hole groups at 20 ft.

if you look at almost all American gun companies, they are turning out guns that are not checked out as much as they should. Look at the P32 keltec, the GP and SPas well as the RUger 480. there are the taurus that will not turn right out of the box. my taurus 85 that froze up.

Welcome to the new millinium where the customer is relied on for quality control. Had to send a new Ruger pistol back twice. They finally replaced it and the replacement is fine. Quality control should ensure that nothing leaves the factory with a defect, but in todays Wal-Mart philosophy, we the consumers are the QC department. Doesn't cost them anything to QC for them.

I hope everything turns out for the best. It did with me and I am pleased so far.

A Ok

My pard sent his OLD Blackhawk .357 back to the factory after we discovered that lack of grooves in the brrl was causeing LARGE groups. Ruger sent it back 3 weeks later with a new brrl and 12 other items replaced + + + ALL AT NO CHARGE. They even paid the shipping. A note was inside that they figured it had well in excess of 125,000 rounds thru it.....dewey

A man who fires 125,000 rounds out of a pistol might just be a hell of a shot when he gets done.

OK, just found out the dealer didn't send it back to Ruger, he sent it back to his distribuitor (Davidsons). Their plan is to replace it with a new one or send it to Ruger whichever is quicker.
Been two weeks now, I guess they can't make up their minds.

SK,

I don't think you'll have a problem once it goes back to Ruger. But on the chance that you simply get a refund, why don't you give the Taurus 605 a shot? I love mine and find it to be more comfortable than the Ruger to shoot. I haven't heard too many who were dissatisfied with the 605. YMMV.

PS. Thanks for all the reloading advice you've given in the other forum, it's always been right on!

Back