Ruger Q2 sales down 23%: Rebate Incoming?

TruthTellers

Saw this headline earlier today. Not surprising when you pay for a recall to fix Mark IV pistols and competitors are giving out rebates like candy on Halloween.

Anybody think Ruger is going to start offering rebates? Which models you think will be eligible?

Ruger doesn't have a history of offering rebates except for trade-in rebates on upgraded models.

I wouldn't mind, though.

The American pistol doesn't appear to be a hot seller, so there's that. I also wonder about the SR9/40. The 9E is probably selling ok since it's so cheap.

I expect the MK4 is also suffering poor sales. There's 68 years of production of previous generations, competition from the S&W Victory, and the recall surely isn't helping.

I would think if Ruger did offer rebates for their guns, they'd most likely be for the American and SR pistols, LC9s, 10/22, Mini-14 and American rifles. No revolvers, they're too costly to sell at a discount and it's not like there's anybody else making a better revolver for less.

I'd imagine a lot of mfg's hae dipping sales, A rebate would help get things moving but I'd say this news is nothing out of the ordinary, lower prices is the only thing that's getting things to move.. it's a buyers market right now.

Ruger has offered rebates in the past and I think it far more likely than a price reduction. Here's why.

Back in the 90's Ruger suddenly dropped prices on most of their product lines. The problem was that many dealers had large quantities of Ruger products in stock bought at the old prices. One day they wake up and discover that other dealers are ordering new Ruger guns for significantly less than the ones they had in stock. Customers got mad because store A was charging $25-$50 more than it was selling for in Store B.

The dealers who had been good Ruger customers weren't too happy either. They ended up having to sell many Ruger products at or just above cost just to keep customers. I know several who swore they'd never stock Ruger products again.

Ruger learned their lesson. The next time they offered rebates instead of price reductions. This didn't penalize gun dealers who already had guns in stock.

jmr40-nice analysis. You offered up a view I hadn't given any consideration to about rebates/lower prices. Thanks.

Back