Ruger public statement following suit

Jeff Thomas

While perusing the Ruger web site I came across this statement - new, I suppose, since the outrageous Brooklyn Federal District Court decision: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Redbook.html .

I've noticed that Ruger has received some 'heat' in the past for some of their / his stands. This seems like a well thought out response. Your thoughts?

I would think it is time the major firearms manufacturers like Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt, etc. come to their senses and realize government entities are not their friends anymore and to cease competing amongst themselves like a bunch of wolves over contracts to sell their wares at the lowest possible price. Charge full price and tell the government purchasing agents that if their bosses insist on suing the manufacturers, the price to equip their police departments will go up and up and up.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Actually, there is a major industry initiative underway to pool resources to fight the legal battles.

The municipal lawsuits are uniting the industry in a way that the NRA and the NSSF could never have managed.

OK. Read the proclamation. I agree with most of it. I have a few questions though.

1) Isn't Vermont's carry for 16 year olds and above? Does Ruger think they should change?

2) There is a difference between the legal definition of insane and "mental health problems." Insane is a legal term not a psychiatric one. An example of a psychiatric diagnosis is attention deficit disorder. Get a DSM IV. Read the diagnostic criteria. Over 30% of American males fulfill the criteria. Look at the statistics for how many kids are on Ritalin or equivalent drugs for this diagnosis. Talk to some teachers about how many kids in their classes are taking medications for this disorder. People, if we go with this we have just disqualified a large percentage of the youth of America from ever legally owning firearms.

I heard of one person who was voluntarily admitted overnight for observation after experiencing severe anxiety after witnessing a violent murder. ONE night...voluntarily. He was later denied "permission" to purchase a firearm because of his mental health history. Do we really want to go there? Perhaps mental health in regard to firearm purchase should be the legal definition of insane: Can the person distinguish between right and wrong?

The third point I have just a little bit of a problem with is the unsupervised youth bit. Maybe I'm just showing my age and remembering a different time but I received my first firearm when I was 8 years old. I was hunting without supervision at 12. Between 8 and 12 my father taught me, watched me, and taught me some more. When he was satisfied, I was given permission to hunt small game alone. I live on the edge of town (less than 1000 feet from a school, oh my!) and would walk from my home, across the street, and into the woods. I can look out my window and see the tree where I shot my first squirrel. As a teenager I walked the streets of my neighborhood in hunting season with a shotgun and a .22 rifle. No one blinked an eye. Imagine what would happen to a kid today. It's a damn shame, people. Who could have imagined such a loss of freedom in a period of thirty years?

Spartacus, good points - I didn't consider it that carefully.

Now, I don't know what a 'DSM IV' is, but if it explains why I wait until Valentine's Day to buy something for my wife, well then I'm guilty.

Gotta go now ... better buy another gun before they find out I forget to do my Christmas shopping as well. ;)

Back